vb:literal>

Thread: Night Caching Tutorial

Default Night Caching Tutorial

Typically not for a newbie cacher night caching offers a different spin on the game. A common type of night cache uses FireTacks to lead you to the cache. To help those that want to try this type of hide I've prepared a tutorial on how to use FireTacks.

How to use FireTacks Tutorial

I hope you find it helpful.

That is a great post! The only addition I would make is to mention/reinforce - before doing a cache placement, permission of the land owner should be obtained!

There was a mention of many public parks are not open for access at night. Although public, permission should be obtained for placement of a cache at public parks. A cache placer should not assume but rather defer to obtaining permission rather than assuming permission in public areas. There could be many reasons why a public area might not allow Geocaches. Better to check and know than assume and be embarrased.

Night caches rock and I hope more folks consider doing them. The firetacs on my night cache are seconds which I purchased for little money (I will share the source). They have lasted for a good time.

Clearly a bunch of us have interest so if you are considering doing one - ask away. Thanks for that post cacheatnight and come on up and do mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cacheatnight View Post
    Typically not for a newbie cacher night caching offers a different spin on the game. A common type of night cache uses FireTacks to lead you to the cache. To help those that want to try this type of hide I've prepared a tutorial on how to use FireTacks.

How to use FireTacks Tutorial

I hope you find it helpful.

I'm glad you like the post hollora. I went out tonight to shoot a video about night caching and got soaked! I don't know if the footage will be usable.

I agree with you about getting permission. I have written on this subject a couple of times on my other geocaching blog - www.cachemania.com. I just wish it was easier to find out who owns land so you can seek permission.
    Grab a Light, Cache At Night
    ===<@
    www.cacheatnight.com

In our town, all land ownership is posted on line......but not so everywhere. Each and every town has the ability to tell you ownership by street number on a map. E-911 was ensured that could/would happen.

I currently have a night cache on my property - Bone Headed Moose - and would not mind if you are in the area for you to do video. If we sell the proporty, it may go away but right now it is a fire tacked night cache. It is intersting to see what happens to the trail during the seasons as you turn up our road.

Again, property line, guidelines should be available from town assessing officers. It is public record - just not all is available on the web.

I'm glad you like the post hollora. I went out tonight to shoot a video about night caching and got soaked! I don't know if the footage will be usable.

I agree with you about getting permission. I have written on this subject a couple of times on my other geocaching blog - www.cachemania.com. I just wish it was easier to find out who owns land so you can seek permission.

I'm not often in your neck of the woods but you know I'll check it out if I am :-)

I can find out who owns the land online but it doesn't provide contact info. There needs to be a better way.
    ===<@
    www.cacheatnight.com

I'm not often in your neck of the woods but you know I'll check it out if I am :-)

I can find out who owns the land online but it doesn't provide contact info. There needs to be a better way.
    ===<@
    www.cacheatnight.com

In our town, often to google the person you will get the contact information you may need. Small Maine town and many folks still have land lines and are in the book. Not all Maine towns publish their land owner list on line. I like to think by our town doing this we are a bit progressive as it is public record.