vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughest day geocaching?

Default Toughest day geocaching?

What's everybody's toughest day geocaching? Mine defiantly was on the 4th. Ended up 0 for 2 and didn't have time to search for anymore caches because of time spent searching for missing caches. Looks like Quaker Ridge may have been lost to logging activity and Songo Locks got muggled. On the bright side, we enjoyed spectacular views from the top of Quaker Ridge and enjoyed watching the holiday boat traffic passing through Songo Lock. I guess that just proves that there really isn't such a thing as a bad day of geocaching.

Thumbs up Stories not #'s

The team has never been about the numbers, its always about the stories. And you have two fine ones. Dnf's do not make for a bad day. Not being able to go caching, however does. I remember the snows of last winter. Couldn't dig deep enough. Our logs were filled with RTD " refused to dig " hehehe
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Worse day is a toss up between "Over the Ridges and through the woods" GCGZ8Y and "Pineland" GCGZ72. Both are good caches but they were early on in our caching adventures. "Over" looks like Mount St. Helens with all the logging debris. The GPS bounced like mad and nothing but utter stubborness got us finally to the cache. Physically it was a bit of a challenge since my legs are ah... short and some of the climbing over debris and through streams was longer than my legs . Pineland was dumbness on our part since it was only our second cache and we did not take the correct trail in. So.... we bushwacked by coordinates - through the spring crusty snow, ice, slippery trails and mud. Found it and just in time as the spring floods had opened the container and flooded it.

Not BAD days, just learning experiences early on. Since I cannot grow longer legs, I have to get smarter at thinking about how to get to a cache.

Anne

TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Our toughest day was a couple fo weeks ago in Bangor. Just returned froma three week trip and had a day in Bangor so we decided to try for 10 caches that we had download before we left. Started great found the frist two then had eight DNF's in a row, very depressing. Just to get home and look them up to find they were gone. So goes the day, we had a good time hunting anyway.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Explorer
    Our toughest day was a couple fo weeks ago in Bangor. Just returned froma three week trip and had a day in Bangor so we decided to try for 10 caches that we had download before we left. Started great found the frist two then had eight DNF's in a row, very depressing. Just to get home and look them up to find they were gone. So goes the day, we had a good time hunting anyway.
    You found a few of mine in the Bangor Area so I can only assume that these were not among the DNFs.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

8 in a row that vanished, bet they all belonged to the same person.

My toughest day has to be the day I got a late start, then drove back dirt roads, parked the 2WD PU and bushwacked 1 1/2 miles through pine trees to Foster's Solitude, bushwacked back (around 2pm) , then got another dozen caches before sunset.
    Saw some great stuff though. A bad day of caching beats a good day at work.

I'd have to say the time I almost met my maker trying to do "Dyslexic's Nightmare". I never did finish that one. Never really got started before "the incident". That was my worst day caching. You'll have to ask me in person for the details, though.

-RanMan22

Exclamation My worst day....

Tried to find "Troopin' Down the Trail" (GCRN6N) in West Gardiner, and I was with neo-cachers......I had been on the trail system for another cache, and was all confident about the easy grab this would be. We had found the cache after getting lost briefly because I decided to bushwack; but on the way OUT, we crossed an ATV trail and took it by mistake. Two and a HALF hours after entering the woods, and just before dark, we found our way out......

I've never been so glad that I set a waypoint at the car!! LOL!

The trail led to a backyard, and since we had crossed some swampy areas with a 6-year-old in tow, we walked out the driveway to the road where we walked the 1/2 mile BACK to the CAR. Fortunately, I had my neo-cachers hooked on the sport before we attemted this one, and thanks to my reassurances that this was the worst experience I'd had with this, they're still in it. =)
    To Cache or NOT to cache.....IS there a question?

Quote Originally Posted by SewN2Cachin'
    Tried to find "Troopin' Down the Trail" (GCRN6N) in West Gardiner, and I was with neo-cachers......I had been on the trail system for another cache, and was all confident about the easy grab this would be. We had found the cache after getting lost briefly because I decided to bushwack; but on the way OUT, we crossed an ATV trail and took it by mistake. Two and a HALF hours after entering the woods, and just before dark, we found our way out......

I've never been so glad that I set a waypoint at the car!! LOL!

The trail led to a backyard, and since we had crossed some swampy areas with a 6-year-old in tow, we walked out the driveway to the road where we walked the 1/2 mile BACK to the CAR. Fortunately, I had my neo-cachers hooked on the sport before we attemted this one, and thanks to my reassurances that this was the worst experience I'd had with this, they're still in it. =)

LOL!! Haffy has a similar story with those same trails. I'm not sure how long he "wandered" but it was for quite awhile...LOL...

I remember reading in these forums to "mark" the car, not that I have heeded that advice and I probably will be adding my story soon of wandering aimlessly going," jeesh, that tree looks familar." or "I know I came up this trail.",,,,,LOL

Glad things turned out well!!!!

Cache On!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I remember reading in these forums to "mark" the car, not that I have heeded that advice and I probably will be adding my story soon of wandering aimlessly going," jeesh, that tree looks familar." or "I know I came up this trail.",,,,,LOL
    You're like me TRF . . . you just use your "internal GPS", right?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."