vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnout – When It’s Just Not Fun Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I did because I did promise I would put it out. Rules is rules, and I like to follow them at least 90% of the time.
    Sheesh! Of course we'll place it in a cache - it's just that's it's sad knowing that it will be missing soon after...

Pam and I really enjoy just going out, as she said, together. We got the two caches at Moxie Falls a few days ago and those were the only two we got. The walk in and the view of the falls was worth it. Then a couple days later, we finally got tired of seeing a cache close by not being found so we went and did Tandemstoker's Exploring the Elm City cache. Had a lot of fun doing that one too. Found out some interesting facts about Waterville that we wouldn't have known about otherwise. I've been keeping my PQs up to date pretty much and do a polygon to get caches in areas we're travelling in but we seem to just drive right by tons of "Park and Grab" caches because guardrails just don't hold enough of a fascination for us anymore, I guess. Now, if the guardrail is near a nice view or an interesting location we will most likely try for it. Or, if there's a cache that seems to not be garnering enough interest to at least be found once we'll sometimes use that as our excuse to make a distant run just to see the area and grab that cache that no one else has done yet. Sometimes our common sense kicks in and we pass on a cache that's probably more than we should try. Bum knees on one person have a way of keeping a team away from a 5 terrain, for instance. Nothing against those of you who want to build up large numbers of those of you who have placed the "so-called" power runs, they're just not our cup of tea.

Oh, and Dan, dessert is the sweet food you traditionally consume after a meal. Desert is a dry, arid place. Just sayin.........

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    RULost2? got a GEICO Gecko yesterday, and although we promised to place it in a cache as soon as possible, we hesitate to let it go because it will only be a short time before it goes into someone's collection. Of the 25 or so TBs/coins we've released, only 2-3 are currently active. Why bother?Sheesh!
    You know, I'm not sure these will disappear like a nice coin or a cool hitchhiker on a TB. Got my gecko yesterday, will place it tomorrow most likely and will be interesting to see what happens. It just seems these are so mass produced, not high-end and are a "dime a dozen" the attraction of keeping it may not be there.

In response to the title of this thread, I've been caching for about 3 years and it's amazing how much this activity has changed in those 3 years. I feel like I may have come into this about 4 or 5 years too late. That said, gonna load a few into the Garmin and hit the trail tomorrow.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    In response to the title of this thread, I've been caching for about 3 years and it's amazing how much this activity has changed in those 3 years. I feel like I may have come into this about 4 or 5 years too late. That said, gonna load a few into the Garmin and hit the trail tomorrow.
    I came in in the middle of 2002 and I even wish I had started earlier. I think I missed quite a bit in that short time. I think it's a lot like automobiles, people appreciate them a lot more if they have a good idea what they used to be like. Some people complain their car stereo only has 4 speakers or the heated seats don't heat up quick enough and many don't realize cars did not originally have those available, even as an option. I'm glad I am old enough to realize that, though never had to endure it outside of driving my grandfather's Model B around his property helping him cut wood. Mechanical brakes are not that great, by the way! (And the family still has the Model B)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

My last TB I sent out consists of the tag attached to a Landshark Lager beer cap. Coincidentally, I called it "Landshark" Cheap. Easy, and just found it's way to Holland.

The TB's are really fun to track, I just don't expect too much from them. When something does happen, It adds to the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Like all activities, time often changes the nature of the game, the purpose of the game, the way the game is played and the way the game is perceived. The ability to adapt, adjust and accept really determines whether folks stay in the game or move on. We're lucky here in Maine. Our terrrain is widely varied, we have an "ocean", mountains, a dessert and even a couple of very well developed urban areas so the variety is what keeps Di and I enthused about the game. Last weekend Di siimply said she wanted to see the ocean, so that's where we went. With a couple of exceptions, the caches were rather ordinary except for all the religious pamphlets. But we saw the ocean, spent a nice day together and as always, enjoyed the game we call caching. I won't burn out but it's hard to sustain the initial enthusiasm most new cachers bring to the game..

As far as TB's, I initially spent big bucks foolishly placing 20 and 30 dollar coins into circulation. Learned very early on about what a poor decision that was. I still place an occasional bit of swag and sometimes coins in caches, but not often. Too bad that some players think nothing of anybody but themselves.

Feeling in a funk, how about making a killer cache and hiding it for the rest of us? That always works for me!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

You should have just called, I was a cop in Waterville for almost 10 years. I could have told you a few stories.....

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Pam and I really enjoy just going out, as she said, together. We got the two caches at Moxie Falls a few days ago and those were the only two we got. The walk in and the view of the falls was worth it. Then a couple days later, we finally got tired of seeing a cache close by not being found so we went and did Tandemstoker's Exploring the Elm City cache. Had a lot of fun doing that one too. Found out some interesting facts about Waterville that we wouldn't have known about otherwise. I've been keeping my PQs up to date pretty much and do a polygon to get caches in areas we're travelling in but we seem to just drive right by tons of "Park and Grab" caches because guardrails just don't hold enough of a fascination for us anymore, I guess. Now, if the guardrail is near a nice view or an interesting location we will most likely try for it. Or, if there's a cache that seems to not be garnering enough interest to at least be found once we'll sometimes use that as our excuse to make a distant run just to see the area and grab that cache that no one else has done yet. Sometimes our common sense kicks in and we pass on a cache that's probably more than we should try. Bum knees on one person have a way of keeping a team away from a 5 terrain, for instance. Nothing against those of you who want to build up large numbers of those of you who have placed the "so-called" power runs, they're just not our cup of tea.

Oh, and Dan, dessert is the sweet food you traditionally consume after a meal. Desert is a dry, arid place. Just sayin.........
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Sheesh! Four days in Canada and we haven't logged a cache. We attempted on yesterday, but the last person that looked didn't find it - we didn't either.

We love Travel Bugs, so when we started out today, I filtered GSAK to load only caches with TB's into Garmin. We drove 250 miles today, and still didn't attempt a single cache.

Are we "jaded"? Too many LPC's and GRC"S?

Sheesh!

I have only been caching for about a year so I haven't experenced burnout yet but I'm sure that like any activity it can happen. I think moderation has a lot to do with it. I know what it's like when the caching bug hits and you have to get out and cache. I marvel at some cachers who can rack up hundreds of finds in a year but that's just not me. I cache when I can but I don't make it a priority. I listen to an audio show called Podcacher and I recall a show some time back in April or May of this year that talked about caching burnout. Some of the listeners responded with some good ideas. One was to take a non geocacher out geocaching. Nothing like sharing the caching experience with someone who has never cached before to get the jucies flowing. Another is challenges. I recently started the Green Monster series which consists of 22 caches all over Mass which contain Monster numbers that will lead to a final. Meeting other cachers and attending events is another way to combat caching burnout. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and I think that holds true for caching as well. Keep it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by justintim1999 View Post
    I have only been caching for about a year so I haven't experenced burnout yet but I'm sure that like any activity it can happen. I think moderation has a lot to do with it. I know what it's like when the caching bug hits and you have to get out and cache. I marvel at some cachers who can rack up hundreds of finds in a year but that's just not me. I cache when I can but I don't make it a priority. I listen to an audio show called Podcacher and I recall a show some time back in April or May of this year that talked about caching burnout. Some of the listeners responded with some good ideas. One was to take a non geocacher out geocaching. Nothing like sharing the caching experience with someone who has never cached before to get the jucies flowing. Another is challenges. I recently started the Green Monster series which consists of 22 caches all over Mass which contain Monster numbers that will lead to a final. Meeting other cachers and attending events is another way to combat caching burnout. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and I think that holds true for caching as well. Keep it fun.

very true! Sometimes we forget what got us into it in the first place....I enjoy making some "intresting" caches for other to find.....like iam sure a couple of guys who did our underwater cache early this spring when the water was COLD can attest to.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.