vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Short Cache Logs (Topic moved from 'Early Publication' thread)

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Brdad, who is your editor?
    Lee very often corrects me on my logs. I'm a good speller but a lousy typist. Anyone that's spent any time in chat will back that up. I too can correct a log 5 times and still have errors. My logs would look much worse if not for her.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Smile

When we started I did not put much in my logs because being new I wasn't sure what to write. It seemed when looking the log over before submitting it that what I wrote sometimes seemed to sound foolish. Guess it seems easier now (not saying my logs are great but it seems easier). We are wondering what CO's think about the in-cache logs. Haven't heard much about those. Wife does them while "G" and I look over the cache. She puts our name, date, and what we traded if anything, and always TFTC. So We would like to read some CO opinions about those. This is a really intreresting thread.

I think the average length of logs in the physical logbooks has shortened. I know the length of the logs I write have, and from what I have seen in the logbooks others have as well. I used to like to look at the logbooks and see who found the cache before me as well, and what they wrote. It's very rare for me to do that now. I'm not sure what the reasoning is unless we're just in too much of a hurry to get to the next cache. Some of it I imagine is being trained not to write anything in micros and nanos. My handwriting is not very legible anyway, so maybe it does not matter! Most of the time now, Lee does the logging for both of us, puts our names, the date, and maybe a few words about the weather or cache.

I keep all the logbooks I replace from my caches and like to thumb through them. It is good to see what people write at the site when they do write something, perhaps better than the online log.

Last edited by brdad; 06-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I often take the time to give a few thoughts to the CO in the log book, at a minimum a "thank you." Problem with that is the only folks that get to see it are subsequent finders. An enthusiastic log posted as a find is much more likely to generate enthusiasm and attract cachers to a particular hide. Di and I look for logs like this when we plan a day of it. And we hope our positive logs draw other cachers to follow in our footsteps.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer and wife and "G" View Post
    When we started I did not put much in my logs because being new I wasn't sure what to write. It seemed when looking the log over before submitting it that what I wrote sometimes seemed to sound foolish. Guess it seems easier now (not saying my logs are great but it seems easier). We are wondering what CO's think about the in-cache logs. Haven't heard much about those. Wife does them while "G" and I look over the cache. She puts our name, date, and what we traded if anything, and always TFTC. So We would like to read some CO opinions about those. This is a really intreresting thread.
    I have been noticing that the logs in the caches are shortening to just a date and name. The only cache of mine with a big log book in it that I have visited is on my property. Most of the logs were names and dates, and at first I was disappointed, but the online logs made up for it, and frankly, I can't say that I would sit out in my woods right now with the black flies, sqitos and ticks and right much more! I will be the first to admit to recently doing the name date thing a couple times, either when there was a muggle coming or when the cloud of mosquitos that goes caching with me gets so thick that I can't see the log book! As a cacher, I do enjoy sitting in the woods and reading the other CO's log books to learn about others experiences. I will often right a full page in the log book because there is something extra special about seeing a hand written log, sort of like getting a hand written letter. Means a lot! Online, howerver, I worry that my logs are too wordy. I get really excited about seeing birds and wildlife and want to share that with everyone and post pics too, but not sure if thats something that the cache owners are interested in hearing about. Only a couple of COs have contacted me about my logs cache/online, and those experiences have been positive, so I guess its all good. Just some rambling thoughts.

To put my final note on a thread intended to encourage better logging and manners, it seems for some that the only cache worthy of more then a few words would be a 12 part multi-cache with the final being a full-size ammo can located 5 miles into the woods someplace. Yeah, I'd write quite a story about such a find but in keeping up the enthusiasm for the less ambitious cache hiders, I won't serial log and will continue to try to post something positive about all finds and to thank folks that put out caches, even those that some here would characterize as lame. (and should I spell something wrong or post something grammatically incorrect, then go ahead and have a few chuckles about it you'd like!)
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    (and should I spell something wrong or post something grammatically incorrect, then go ahead and have a few chuckles about it you'd like!)
    As you can see from my post right above yours, I am hooked on fonics (phonics!) and not on proof reading. Thats just the way it is. People can think what they think. I'm not illiterate, just laid back and I can't spell worth beans and I am NOT going to stress out about it! As long as my meaning comes across, I am good with it. I don't want any new cachers to think that there are any requirements for spelling and punctuation. Just have a good time folks and write what you can. Feel the joy!

hey i dont capitolize words and cant spell for nuffin! but I am your newsletter writer!! what a world, what a world.

Thank God for spellcheck...and my editor!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    Thank God for spellcheck...
    Oh sure, just call me spellcheck now.

YES and you helped me spell capitalize...or is it capitolize LOL
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.