vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Short Cache Logs (Topic moved from 'Early Publication' thread)

If anyone is thinking I was worked up about the spelling in logs, I was not. I was merely pointing out that I found no manners missing in the log mentioned as someone else suggested, all I saw were a few spelling errors.

Anyway, it is an interesting twist to the topic. Just like manners, the way we write and spell our logs and cache descriptions is a reflection on each of us. I make as many mistakes or more as the next person, I do my best but sometimes they sit undiscovered until someone brings the error to my attention, then I'll fix it. I've fixed several logs and cache descriptions years after they were written.

With the newsletter, it is a reflection on the whole site - Pam knows that and welcomes it being checked over before it is sent out (and even then some items slip by). If she took every edit personally, she would have quit at at the first issue! We actually have a good time laughing about the edits, some times I think she puts a few in just for the fun of it! Regardless, she does a great job on the newsletter and deserves even more praise than she gets. She also deserves more people to participate in her contests like the photo contest. So show your manners and appreciation for her efforts and submit a photo - and make sure your spelling is correct in the photo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmup.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1001  
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    To put my final note on a thread intended to encourage better logging and manners, it seems for some that the only cache worthy of more then a few words would be a 12 part multi-cache with the final being a full-size ammo can located 5 miles into the woods someplace. Yeah, I'd write quite a story about such a find but in keeping up the enthusiasm for the less ambitious cache hiders, I won't serial log and will continue to try to post something positive about all finds and to thank folks that put out caches, even those that some here would characterize as lame. (and should I spell something wrong or post something grammatically incorrect, then go ahead and have a few chuckles about it you'd like!)
    Dan, I don't think a 12 stage multi-cache would be needed. I think Dave would respond positively to a 6 stager.

Definition of STAGER

: an experienced person : veteran

Interesting how this has "grown" out of my original thread concerning early publication and how much thread activity it generated. Thanks to all who have participated. My single little thought from my pea-sized brain is I imagine there is a direct connection between cachers logging with short or even no word logs and cachers who use smartphone technology to cache. Before the smart phone users jump crazy on me, I certainly am not suggesting you aren't true cachers or that all cell cachers are short loggers. Frankly, I really don't care how you enjoy the activity, just be a responsible cacher. Just wondering......
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I think phone logging is a definite factor. I'm glad there are other ways to log, if I had to do it with my phone I'd have to set a basic default message to use as well. I can barely answer my phone, let alone connect to that interweb thing with it. Of course, any phone log could be edited through a computer at a PC later time, but I'd bet the larger percentage of us would not bother. I've had intentions of adding pictures to cache logs on a later date on several occasions and have let it slip on my priority list.

Speaking of pictures, I like when people add pictures to the logs on my caches, but it is unfortunate we are not alerted in the notifications that the finder added pictures. I often just read the email version without checking online to see if pictures were added. IMO pictures are often worth many words in a cache log.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Dan, I don't think a 12 stage multi-cache would be needed. I think Dave would respond positively to a 6 stager.
    This thread really has nothing to do with my preference of caches, it has to do with what reasons a finder may have for writing longer or shorter logs, as well as features a cache may have that promote longer or shorter logs. A memorable cache does not need to be any number of stages or miles into the wilderness. Check out the caches I have favorited, many are low in D/T ratings.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I am curious, as a cache owner, do you mind if someone alerts you that you have a spelling error in your cache title or description, and mentions it either in their log or in an email? Someone just posted a link elsewhere to a cache placed in 2008 and the title is not spelled correctly, and I assume unintentionally.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-24-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Yes, I mind and I would hope my fellow cachers would have more productive activities in their lives then spell checking other's words.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I am curious, as a cache owner, do you mind if someone alerts you that you have a spelling error in your cache title or description, and mentions it either in their log or in an email? Someone just posted a link elsewhere to a cache placed in 2008 and the title is not spelled correctly, and I assume unintentionally.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Personally....I appreciate constructive criticism. I dont appreciate people being vindictively mean about it but if I messed up I dont mind someone telling me...would prefer a PM rather than a public log but thats me.

Hey I am not perfect...CLOSE mind you but I make mistakes. hehe
    Last edited by brdad; 06-25-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Just to be clear, brdad's criticism of the "spelling and grammar" of my very first log was not corrected by a subsequent log or private email but was simply posted right in this thread in the midst of a discussion about manners. While having a site administrator is fine, we don't need spelling and grammar "police." While I use spell check consistently in my professional life, I don't think it's a necessary tool in this game we play and I would be hard pressed to find a legitimate reason to correct a fellow cacher's spelling.

I didn't see much wrong with that log, short of poor grammar and spelling. I have a personal editor so you don't see so much of that in my logs.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

My question was about cache titles and descriptions. If I made an error in a cache listing, I would want to know, be it coordinates, spelling or wrong use of a word. I think it's a good thing to have a well-written cache page.

Logs are a different thing, I don't mind anyone mentioning a log error to me, but it's definitely overkill for anyone to actively seek them out. But I am still glad Lee looks mine over as she reads them...
    Last edited by brdad; 06-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!