vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June 29th Coming to Belfast - Vic & Blaine's Suicide Awareness Bicycle Tour - Meet

Default June 29th Coming to Belfast - Vic & Blaine's Suicide Awareness Bicycle Tour - Meet

Although I was to late to publish this as an "Official" Geocaching dot com Event - it's ok - let's get together anyway. June 29th, Comfort Inn, Belfast ME - 6P - 8P, although it is possible we may start a bit sooner - watch this thread to learn updates.

I would like to cordially invite Geocachers, friends and others to come meet Vic (vicbiker) & Blaine as they stay over at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge, 159 Searsport Avenue, Belfast, the night of June 29th - Breakfast nook area.

I am happy to host this little Meet N Greet so folks can wish them well along the way. Just a little time to talk, reflect, ask questions, etc. More detail will follow on Monday. If you plan on attending - please post to this thread with the number of people (bring a friend too if you like).

There will be some door prizes (not sure how many, or what they will be - but I will have some stuff and there will be at least 2 unactivated Geocoins). Everyone will get a door prize ticket (even if you are unable to donate) but if you wish to donate there will be a "blind" donation jar for you to drop something in for a donation (no amount to small - suggested donation $1 - $5). Checks will be accepted as donations as The JD Foundation is a non-profit Foundation.

Here is what the ride is all about (written by Vic): In 2004 Blaine and I embarked on a cross country bicycle tour from Anacortes Wash. to our home in Abbot Maine.That experience forever changed our lives and we vowed that we would do something similar to that trip every couple of years. Unfortunately the following year my wife Cheryl and I were to lose a son to suicide and once again our lives were changed forever. The JD Foundation was started as a result of this tragic event to... help raise awareness and prevent suicide.

This tour will be our way of doing what we love while at the same time raising awareness for the JD Foundation's efforts to prevent suicide in the state of Maine. As we ride the length of route one we are in hopes that some of you will come ride with us, provide us with places to camp, connect us to local media, open your hearts to support our efforts by making a donation.

Our plans for this ride will be to cover 40-60 miles a day giving us the time to connect with people along the route. Leaving Fort Kent - Monday 6/20/11 we ride to Van Buren,
    6/21/11 to Presque Isle, 6/22/11 to Orient, 6/23/11 to Princeton, 6/24/11 to Calais for two nights, 6/26/11 to Cobcook State Park, 6/27/11 to Jonesport, 6/28/11 to Sullivan, 6/29/11 to Belfast, 6/30/11 to Wiscasset, 7/1/11 to Biddeford, 7/2/11 we finish our ride in Kittery.

Travel plans for tomorrow will preclude me responding to posts after 9 AM but if you have questions all will be answered by Sunday night. Thank you!

Di and I will try to skip down. Keep us posted if the time or date changes. This is a terrific and worth cause that Vic and Blaine are promoting and what an effort by the two of them!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

It is to bad this is in the middle of the week. I would like to attend.
    Blazing Troll

Come on down Rick...I'm buying!

QUOTE=attroll;77773]It is to bad this is in the middle of the week. I would like to attend.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't see a lot of people here but that is ok. It is a weekday - sorry, not everything can happen on weekend...........and it isn't (sorry) an official Geocaching dot com Smilie event. Regardless, I believe those who come will enjoy a great time. 6P - 8P and there will be door prizes. I won't commit to snacks or food until I see a bit more either here or through Facebook.

It sounds like Cheryl will be there to walk us through some more information about Suicide prevention - and there are some great caches nearby for those who have not cached in the area.

Post your intentions here OR on our Faceboo page http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...37590979603117 Thanks a bunch. Everyone have a great and safe summer!

I would like to go to this but I would need to hitchhike. Anyone passing thru Frankfort on their way to the event? If so and you are willing to take a non paying rider, please PM me. Thanks!

Once again, weekdays generally find me out of town. Doesn't diminish the importance however.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Di and I will try to skip down.
    This I've gotta see!!!! Will you be skipping all the way from home or just after you partake of the beverages???

We'll be coming from home after work and with me driving, there will be one beverage only!

The menu has been selected - a bit weird but hey, this is 6P - 8P so what do you want..........I hope everyone is ok with Chocolate Chip Cookies and Ice Tea - otherwise - bring pot luck!

It's not about the food or anything else - except to wish them well on the journey and maybe get a donation or two. We will be in a public area if we are a small group and that will help promote what we are doing.

Please pass the word to friends in the area. This is pretty close for some folks.

See a few of you Wednesday!
    Last edited by hollora; 06-27-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: left out a piece