vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attributes

Default Attributes

OK, here you go.....should attributes be mandatory on cache description pages?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Some of the attributes should be on most cache listings. The handicap accessible icon is just a thoughtful thing to do. Other attributes that warn of hazards, like poison ivy or thorns, can prevent a caching day from being ruined. While any concerns could be described in the cache listings, it's easier to just click on the attributes that are applicable. I don't see a downside to stating the attributes and it's good for the game. Groundspeak would never make it mandatory but I would personally encourage the practice as one of those things that's "the right thing to do!" Good question Paul.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Using attributes has another advantage. You can search for caches in PQ's using attributes and also sort them in GSAK using the attributes.

I think they are VERY important but I do not think they should be mandatory. I do wish more people would utilize this helpful tool however.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

There are obvious advantages to having attributes, but I don't think they should be mandatory either. What I dislike most is when they are misused intentionally (such as using the scuba attribute to designate a power trail) or misused according to my interpretation of it. The "Available during Winter" attribute is one which seems way too open to interpretation. To me, it does not mean that the area the cache is located is open to people during Winter, it means you should be able to access the cache in Winter - which to me means it's most likely above the snow line. But I have seen several caches have this attribute and the cache is under a log on the ground. I have 3 caches on cliffs, I do not have the winter attribute set because I don't want people to think they are designed to be found in the snow. I also don't have the winter attribute set to no because if you really wanted to try to do them in Winter, the land is open for you to try. Unfortunately so many hiders interpret many of the attributes differently.

And for Winter, we also have the snowshoes and cross country skis attributes. Does that mean you need them or you can get to the area where the cache is using them? Does it mean the cache is not buried under 5 feet of snow?

So, no for mandatory, but I think clarification of the attributes would be great. And they should not be allowed to be misused.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-26-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

perhaps a more definative explaination of just what geocaching.com powers that be say the attribute means would be in order. That way there would be less interpertation from the individual cache placer???
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    perhaps a more definative explaination of just what geocaching.com powers that be say the attribute means would be in order. That way there would be less interpertation from the individual cache placer???
    Well, how much more do you need? Each attribute has just a couple of relevant (as far as I can see) choices. Allowed/not allowed or non-relevant - required or not-required - Yes/no or non-relevant - Present/non-present or not relevant - Yes/no or not relevant (all depending on the attribute these are the choices) - seems pretty clear to me (as the choices of answer appear relevant to the attributes). Maybe I just assume to much - but I don't know how - if anyone chooses to use attributes you could accidently mess it up.

I love them and do my filters based on them.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Well, how much more do you need? Each attribute has just a couple of relevant (as far as I can see) choices. Allowed/not allowed or non-relevant - required or not-required - Yes/no or non-relevant - Present/non-present or not relevant - Yes/no or not relevant (all depending on the attribute these are the choices) - seems pretty clear to me (as the choices of answer appear relevant to the attributes). Maybe I just assume to much - but I don't know how - if anyone chooses to use attributes you could accidently mess it up.

I love them and do my filters based on them.
    I was refering to the comment brdad made about different people looking at things like winter friendly differently...some think if the area is open in winter its winter friendly while to others it means it is above snow level. Perhaps is groundspeak left less to interpertation that wouldnt happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    I was refering to the comment brdad made about different people looking at things like winter friendly differently...some think if the area is open in winter its winter friendly while to others it means it is above snow level. Perhaps is groundspeak left less to interpertation that wouldnt happen.
    That is one which might be misinterpreted...........we from snow country may have different ideas from those who may be from 'away'. I will never forget busting a LocNLock container which was entombed in the ice as I went to get it before a funeral. Yup, we were on our way to a funeral for a cacher, caching on the way down and I busted the container trying to get it out of the ice. Ah, did I know the attibutes - no - that wasn't even looked at - we were just trying to get the cache. Did we (that reference cause I was with some friends) make some life long friends - ah, sigh, yeah, for sure - the cache container issue was just a small piece of a total and very emotional day...................

Didn't look at the attributes that day - glad we didn't.............but I might say.........thinking that big picture through...........I probably would have tagged it winter accessible..........but..............because of unforeseen ice that year - because of ocean spray..........it surely wasn't.........

Now if you want proof - there are somewhere - some unbelievable photos of me trying to retrieve the cache.

Arributes are subject to a lot of interpretation and there is a lot to take into consideration as it is all considered. ;-)

I had thought about doing an article for the newsletter about this very thing. It would be so nice if you could count on a majority of caches in the area you want to go caching had accurate attributes. Whether or not dogs are allowed would be a prime example for Pam and I. We have two small breed dogs that will accompany us to just about every caching expedition we go on. We might attend an event where there aren't any provisions for dogs but we'd be much more likely to attend one where we could bring our little companions along with us. In the case of an "interpretation" of the attribute exists like with the winter friendly it might be wise to expand on the attribute in the body of the cache listing. Something like, "Winter friendly if the snow doesn't get over 36" deep at the cache location." or "Easily accessible by snowmobile or snowshoes or skis". Just something that lets someone who doesn't have access to the snowmobile and can't do long distances with the shoes or skis know whether or not they even want to attempt the cache.