vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attributes

Looking at the list, the Winter ones do seem to be the most open to interpretation (I had forgotten snowmobiles). Unfortunately, the Winter attributes may be the most important for many Mainers.

Many of the others are more definite if properly tagged, like the dogs attribute. If it says yes to dogs, then the cache placer should be sure that they are, and if it says no, it should be a definite no.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-26-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Interesting responses...to the point of almost going off track . Thanks for the discussion. Attributes are an important part and for the life of me, cannot understand why a cache placer does not list them. It's not that hard to do. While open to some translation, most symbols are easily understood. Yes/No. Park/No Park. Kids/No Kids. 24/7 or daytime. Etc etc. Once again, I'll beat the drum for being a responsible cacher: List attributes. And in closing, Kevin....do the article, might reach members who do not generally check in.

Almost forgot....my opinion? Mandatory.
    Last edited by pm28570; 06-26-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my opinion!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

The only reason I see for not providing some attributes would be a cache where you do not want to reveal much, but these would most likely have a high difficulty rating and probably be of the mystery/puzzle variety.

So we know attributes won't be made mandatory anytime soon (with or without this 'vote')... And it seems telling a cache owner his cache should have an attribute added or removed may offend them... It would seem the best way to get more attributes on caches would be to promote their (correct) use before they place caches. How do we do that?

Where's that article?
    Last edited by brdad; 06-27-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Maybe there needs to be classes and then a "certification" after passing the class that those of us who add attributes to our cache listings know the plain meaning of the attributes. Here's a question from the test: The dog attribute means: A, I have a dog. B, I have a good dog. C my dog ate my homework. D My dog knows how to spell, finds half the caches I look for and always barks a "thank you" after a successful find.

Another one to get your masters degree: Winter friendly means: A, this cache would be a hit in Arizona or Florida; B Winter friendly is an oxymoron; C Winter friendly means my Saab has snow tires; or D Any cache located 2.3 feet above the mean average of snowfall in Maine over the past 44 years divided by the cache terrain rating plus 3.

I like attributes and so does Groundspeak now that we can get them off a cache listing on our units. It's the right thing to do for your fellow cachers!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Maybe there needs to be classes and then a "certification" after passing the class that those of us who add attributes to our cache listings know the plain meaning of the attributes. Here's a question from the test: The dog attribute means: A, I have a dog. B, I have a good dog. C my dog ate my homework. D My dog knows how to spell, finds half the caches I look for and always barks a "thank you" after a successful find.

Another one to get your masters degree: Winter friendly means: A, this cache would be a hit in Arizona or Florida; B Winter friendly is an oxymoron; C Winter friendly means my Saab has snow tires; or D Any cache located 2.3 feet above the mean average of snowfall in Maine over the past 44 years divided by the cache terrain rating plus 3.

I like attributes and so does Groundspeak now that we can get them off a cache listing on our units. It's the right thing to do for your fellow cachers!
    I truely think you are on to something? Whats the phone number of the admissions office???

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    C Winter friendly means my Saab has snow tires
    Come on, Dan, you know more than just doctors and lawyers cache. You left out "I put 4 used tires on that have more than 1/4 tread left" for winter friendly.

LMAO on that one Kev! Heard Saab actually is projected to stop production within the next 3 years although I think they're too good a car for that. What the heck were you doing up at 3:37?

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Come on, Dan, you know more than just doctors and lawyers cache. You left out "I put 4 used tires on that have more than 1/4 tread left" for winter friendly.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

He was getting ready for work Dan.....retail sucks big time ya know!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.