vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maine Geocaching and State Parks

Lois has hit the nail on the head as they say. If the Board is not "representing" anybody then what's the sense of having a board? I don't think we should proceed willy-nilly to every park manager or send a "to whom it may concern" letter to landowners. I'd suggest direct contact with folks in Augusta to lay the groundwork so that if asked by an specific park official we can indicate who we spoke to and the authority given to us and its limitations.

If the members here prefer that they not be "represented" for lack of a better term or alternatively would view the board as a logical choice to deal with the state and perhpas the Nature Conservancy as well, then please chime in on this topic and tell us one way or the other.

As far as maps that show where not to place caches, I think I'd like some input from Tom on that thought. My fear would be that some cachers would think they could place caches anywhere not "blocked off" on the map. Seems to me there are a lot of cache placements that show little regard for private property rights but that's a different topic.

The response of those who post to this site should tell us (it will me for sure) whether addressing this issue and other issues the board has worked on is worth the effort that's made. We'll see....
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

So if we obtain some sort of agreement from the state, we are supposed to keep this information classified? This is where I get lost. It seems logical the agreement would be posted on the site along with any other pertinent information. Maps are a great resource. Really, we don't need to go overboard on this end of the discussion until some sort of agreement is made. It just seems logical if there is a defined agreement for or against caches having that agreement is useless unless it's available to cachers.

But let's worry about that until if and when any defined agreement is made with a landowner.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Dave, let's try and keep this simple and to a point. I would suggest approaching the State, specifically the Department of Conservation and ask them to develop a guideline to placing caches in state parks. It would be something any cacher looking to place a cache would have to follow and not a secret or classified. I envision a "go to" person at DOC who could address and placement concerns.

BUT, the rest of the board members haven't shown any interest in this topic and I have posted that I'd like to see if the so called "members" here think this is an issue they'd like us to tackle. I won't do anything more until I receive some board feedback from the rest of the gang.

I have been watching the shots being fired back and forth here and after reading the reference to "so called members" I now feel a need to comment. Just how do you define a "so called member" of this group? And who makes the determination as to who is or is not a "so called Member"? I for one have done what this group asked of an individual wishing to join this group. In my opinion I am a member, plain and simple. If you folks have dtermined that to not be the case, let me know as I will have no further need of your little club. Thanks for your time and attention to my comment.

blewis..thanks for chiming in. We hear you!

Quote Originally Posted by blewis View Post
    I have been watching the shots being fired back and forth here and after reading the reference to "so called members" I now feel a need to comment. Just how do you define a "so called member" of this group? And who makes the determination as to who is or is not a "so called Member"? I for one have done what this group asked of an individual wishing to join this group. In my opinion I am a member, plain and simple. If you folks have dtermined that to not be the case, let me know as I will have no further need of your little club. Thanks for your time and attention to my comment.
    Anyone that registers on this site is considered a member. There is no fee to become a member and it is not a club. Welcome aboard Blewis.
    Blazing Troll

New York State Parks and Recreation has a policy for geocaching and that policy is posted on the various geocaching websites so that we are all aware of what the policy is.

Here is a link to the NYS site for those of you that are interested in looking at it: http://nysparks.state.ny.us/inside-o...ceDocument.pdf

I for one think that, as elected members of this group, the board should contact the proper people in Maine and initiate a dialog to get a policy for Maine. I think that it would promote a cooperative attitude on the part of the geocaching community and set common guidelines for all to follow.

Just my 2 cents

A house is not a home without a cat.

Thumbs up The state parks etc.

I think having a chosen representative approach the DOC here in Maine would be a good productive move. Getting ahead on this would offer a much better option than to be behind the curve as such. In other words lets be friends with the DOC and not a problem.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I think having a chosen representative approach the DOC here in Maine would be a good productive move. Getting ahead on this would offer a much better option than to be behind the curve as such. In other words lets be friends with the DOC and not a problem.
    Mike stated, early on in this thread, that he was having discussions with some of the powers that be. Rather than send another person to generate the possibilty of conflict, maybe we should talk more in depth with Mike and support his efforts? Hopefully, if they decide to allow caches they will come up with some guidelines for cache placement in the parks....guidelines we've had input in via our mouthpiece (a.k.a. Mike at this point). I think that if we "send" someone from the site they'd need to be in collaboration with Mike anyway, just so we don't appear disjointed.

Quote Originally Posted by blewis View Post
    I'll send you a private message explaining my thoughts.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.