vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding your own cache?

Default Finding your own cache?

Just had a ftf and was looking back on it today to see if anyone else had found it. Intereresting to note that one of the people listed on the cache page as the owner of the cache, had posted a found note and a smilie. Do people find and log their own caches? Never expected that.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Red face Not that uncommon...

I have seen a few instances over the year of cachers finding their own caches. It is usually a newbie mistake. I have mentioned it to a few that I have seen and it's a situation that they just didn't know. I think in all cases they have removed their logs. Not that it was up to me anyway.

The bottom line is that folks can play the game however they wish. Not much challenge in finding your own cache I guess.
    Happy Trails!

I have seen it often as well, and used to point it out more. I've either softened up or cachers have found even worse reasons to pad their numbers!

I do agree with Brad, it is usually a newbie mistake.

One of our early "power hiders" had over 25 hides which was uncalled for in the day, and only had 20 or so finds at the time, a good number of those were on his own caches. This guy just liked to hide them, didn't really pay much attention to the game.

I know one cacher who knowingly logged a find on his own cache. It was an ammo can hidden in the Southern U.S. and had turned up missing after high water, hurricane IIRC. Anyway, he searched diligently for some time and located his own cache a mile or more downstream from it's original location. While I would most likely not log it as a find myself, it was clear he wasn't doing it just for the smiley, but because he felt he truly earned it, so it seems hard to find fault with that.

Maybe if this guy is newer you should send them a nice note explaining, or just invite them to the site!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

This appears to be a case of two cache owners listed, however the listing cache owner is different than the log would indicate.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Adopted caches

I have adopted several caches, after finding them. When the adoption is complete it looks like you have found your own cache. Sometimes cachers will add the ( adopted by Team2hunt) as the cache owner listed, and sometimes they will just be listed as the only cache owner. For me it depends upon the circumstances of the previous owner.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

And then there is the "family that geocaches together": Husband, wife and dog each hide caches and "find" each others caches.

Sheesh!

And what about people who are caching with friends or family and one person in the group finds the cache, but everybody log a find even if they didn't really find the cache. What portion of your caches did you "find" this way?

I won't even start on co-FTF which is oxymoron.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    And what about people who are caching with friends or family and one person in the group finds the cache, but everybody log a find even if they didn't really find the cache. What portion of your caches did you "find" this way?
    My only argument (though perhaps slightly lame) for this is the others still found/saw the cache for the first time. When in a group or even with Lee I still do my best to back away and let the others find the cache on their own. It does not always work that way, however.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I won't even start on co-FTF which is oxymoron.
    I'll only claim co-ftf if I located the cache in what appears to be a simultaneous moment. If I am looking the other direction, I won't claim it. FTF is a facet of the game some people put too much emphasis on, does it really matter who found it first?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

We usually try to walk away and let others find it as well. Unless we are in a particular hurry.
    Happy Trails!

After Groundspeak banned me for 6 months and I asked them to archive all my caches..... I felt like I had a right to log every one of those caches. I had taken the time, money, and energy to place and maintain those caches.... and now they were gone. So... when I ban was up, I logged everyone of my own caches as a find. My name is on all the logs at the top. I placed them. And I have signed the logs. And from now on, I log each of my hides as a find as well.

For everyone who bashes me and my opinions and likes to remind me that "everyone caches their own way", well that is what I am doing by logging my own hides.