vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Challenge cache type

I think what bugs me the most about these challenges is the fact that they are community moderated. I feel like the moderators place a HUGE amount of value in caches because they follow up with owners as soon as a cache is marked as needing maintenance. Unless Groundspeak plans to get involved immediately when a challenge is flagged in inappropriate, I think we're going to end up wasting a lot of time chasing pointless challenges.

In general, my favorite caches are the ones worth driving, hiking, etc. to even if I'm going to DNF it (especially since the likelihood of a DNF for Ben and me is pretty high, LOL). I worry that without an actual moderator keeping track of these things it will be hard to have any confidence in whether or not a challenge fits that category.

I created one just to play and see what would happen (and to kind of be a little bit of a stinker) if it wasn't liked by Groundspeak. The challenge was just to have your picture taken in West Market Plaza either picking your nose or your friends nose. In the description, it stated that Groundspeak's Challenge idea is to just "Go Somewhere, Do Something". I waited just to see what would happen and someone named Hemlock from California moderated saying people should vote it down as locationless challenges should be archived. The description of the challenge had coordinates and had an actual location and was just a photo challenge. I even had included a pic of a tool that could be used if you happen to be in a situation where you didn't have fingers...lol. Apparently, the moderators just dont want to see people picking their nose?
    I ended up deleting it but will at some point will create a real one to see if that is going to be moderated as well. I really just think the virtual caches needed to be more thought out and like Dan said, under their own site. Geocaching.com should be for physical geocaches/earthcaching.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

But what is a real one? It doesn't matter if you ask them to take a picture or email you answers or dance with Elvis. You have no way of controlling bogus logs no matter how great an idea your challenge is. That in itself dumbs it down to the point it seems unworthy. I think groundspeak was trying to take some of the load of reviewers but this does not seem like a great way to do it.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-22-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Agreed Brdad . . . a step in the right direction . . . still a dumb idea.

Bring back the virtuals!!!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."