vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSAK 8 beta

So with GSAK 8 and API access, We can now get our regularly scheduled PQs and/or we can opt to directly load caches through the API, up to 2000 per hour / 6000 per day.

At the NH block party event I was talking with Rich of Glonch's Pride who does the GSAK 101 classes and he was pondering how this new feature will change the way cachers use GSAK, so that he could adjust his classes accordingly.

The first instinct seems to be that there is less need to download PQs, as all you need to do is load the caches you need just before heading out.

But for me, I am thinking the opposite. I value my full PQ database even more, and feel more free to perhaps create databases of NH, VT, and maybe MA as well, and use my API access to update the caches I want to do just before heading out. For example, I've use API access a lot in the past few days to get favorite points for caches already in my database.

Is anyone else using he beta using it differently because of these new features?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Dave, good post!

One of the things I am doing differently now relates to how I log my finds. I was using the GSAK macro but now just use the interface to GC.Com that GSAK provides. I like being able to write the logs in one sitting and then upload them all with one stroke of the keyboard. Very nice!

Also like you mention the abilities we have now with our Pocket Query's is nicely enhanced. The updating that is now allowed is a great feature and I find myself doing more now than ever before. I have the nearest 5000 caches in my data base which encompasses three states in a 60 mile radius.

So, count me as one who really likes where GSAK is taking us.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I haven't even attempted the logging feature, I'll have to give it a whirl. I made a macro that opens the cache log pages of our new finds in the Oregon, but I'm guessing logging via the API might bypass gc.com slowdown issues...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Dave, good post!

One of the things I am doing differently now relates to how I log my finds. I was using the GSAK macro but now just use the interface to GC.Com that GSAK provides. I like being able to write the logs in one sitting and then upload them all with one stroke of the keyboard. Very nice!

Also like you mention the abilities we have now with our Pocket Query's is nicely enhanced. The updating that is now allowed is a great feature and I find myself doing more now than ever before. I have the nearest 5000 caches in my data base which encompasses three states in a 60 mile radius.

So, count me as one who really likes where GSAK is taking us.
    You actually have 5,000 caches left in only a 60 mile radius? I'm disappointed in you Dick.....LOL You must be slipping in your old age.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I don't know about slipping, but slowing down a bit? Definitely and too, the work schedule is a bit more demanding here!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I used the logging feature yesterday for the second time and for 14 caches (the first time was only two). This is a MUCH easier way to log caches IMO. Next time, I will step it up and try creating a template.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Going to have to learn how to create PQ's all over again too. I did a PQ for 2000 caches in a radius but it included all the archived caches as well. Would really like to be able to do a placed by date PQ through the new GSAK format and also be able to do the 6000 cache PQ over the time interim. Going to be a whole new learning process I think. When you figure this out please inform the rest of us as I would still like to get all my unfound caches here in Georgia in fewer PQ's than the 12 or 13 it will take now over the 2 or 3 days.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I did a PQ for 2000 caches in a radius but it included all the archived caches as well.
    I just reset all my Maine PQ's for getting the whole state. Did I miss something and now we can run PQ's larger than 1k?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I just reset all my Maine PQ's for getting the whole state. Did I miss something and now we can run PQ's larger than 1k?
    I am not sure but I think he meant using GSAK since a PQ will not give you archived caches.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

There was a glitch in the gc.com API which was allowing archived caches when getting caches through the API (NOT through regular PQs). The 2000 cache limit when getting caches through the API is per hour and may or may not be enacted as of yet. The 6000 cache API limit is per day.

AFAIK, PQs are still limited to 1000 per PQ & 5 per day.

Haffy, when I have been doing is getting my PQs in the normal manner for the entire state. If I am going somewhere that has not been updated, I can use the API to update the caches in the area I am going to - or if I am going somewhere outside of Maine, I might use the API to get a load of caches in an area I will be going to. I would not recommend using the API access to update your database on a regular basis, PQs will do that. Loading your PQs though GSAK Does Not count toward your 6000 cache API access limit.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!