vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differing Found Counts

Default Differing Found Counts

A quick question regarding found count on GSAK vs. what's listed on GC.com. I've noticed that in GSAK, I have a total of 1078 finds, but when I go to GC.com, it says that I have 1076. I just did a pocket query of my finds, so I know that's up to date. The only difference that I can think of is that I have two caches that I found that I later adopted. Does GC.com take a cache out of your finds once you've adopted it. I know it's a little nit-picky, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I have two that I have as founds that I subsequently adopted and that didn't impact the number of finds I had.

I don't think they exclude them, does your finds PQ have the adopted caches in it?

The other day you were asking about duplicate logs on caches, does GSAK still have both logs in it's database?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

There's a column you can add in GSAK called "Found Count". It will show you found almost all you caches just once. There's got to be two that you've logged twice. you can scroll quickly down through, find the double logs, delete them and your counts will match.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I went through the "Found Count" in GSAK and found one cache that had a count of 2. I deleted that cache and downloaded the most current "My Finds" PQ. That brought the counts to within one of each other. I just might delete all my finds and download the same PQ, but that seems a little extreme.

It's probably something that I mucked up somewhere along the line. Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll track this down sooner or later.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

And, once again, as soon as I posted the previous message, I went looking and found the cache that the CO deleted my log, but for some reason, GSAK was telling me that I had found it. I might have manually set that cache to "found" before the log was deleted, and the PQ wouldn't have updated the count find on that particular cache. So now, things are in sync.

Again, thank you everyone for your input. Maybe one of these days, I'll get the hang of this geocaching thing.

Glad you found the problem cache.

When you load a PQ vis GSAK, it loads all the logs it finds in the file. Every log has a "log id". If this log id exists in the database, the log is overwritten; if it does not exist the log is added to the database. Easy enough.

The problem comes in the fact that the PQs do not contain every log for a given cache. GSAK can't tell if a log has been deleted or has just not been included in the PQ. So all the old logs build up. Old logs stay in GSAK's database unless they are purged. Perhaps a better way to explain it is like this - suppose you kept a written diary of your caching adventures, using a page for each cache. You've found 100 caches, you've used 100 pages. If 10 people delete your logs online, your diary still has 100 pages of cache logs in it, but GC.com would report 90 finds. GSAK works much the same way.

If you don't keep any special data like notes or corrected coordinates in your finds database, the easiest fix is to delete the caches and reload the PQ. If you do keep special data in the database, you can use the Purge Logs option in GSAK's Database menu. Just set Purge logs to greater than to 0, and uncheck "always keep logs by me" as well as "Preserve last 4 logs column..." and all logs will be deleted.

Last edited by brdad; 05-13-2011 at 02:44 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Amazing the things GSAK will do if you know how to use it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Do you log waymarks or benchmarks? That's why my gsak found score is very different from my geocaching.com found score.

I don't go after waymarks or benchmarks, so I don't know how to answer that question.