vb:literal>

Thread: mapping your finds for the maine delorme challenge and questions about archiving.

Default mapping your finds for the maine delorme challenge and questions about archiving.

I am trying to figure out how to tell where all my cache finds fall on the delorme gazetteer. There was once a post on how to do this I think and what program works. I have been trying to do this just by comparing my finds to the map and know that is a ridiculous way to do it! Can anyone remind some of us that don't know how to do this? Also, quite a few years back I did a Vinalhave cache by the ferry terminal. Can't find it anymore and can't locate it on my cache listings. Is there a way to find out if it was archived, and if so, it should still be on my cache lisiting shouldn't it? If I could only find out the name it would help. Thanks in advance.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I am kind of low tech. I run a PQ kind of thing with all my finds. When you get it, one of the buttons on the PQ listing has a map feature. That is how I would find that one. Even the archived ones show up.

If you look on the front page there is a box on the left. Software help is found there.

That might not help but Brdad will be on soon with the big save I'm sure.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Thanks for that info ekidokai.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    Thanks for that info ekidokai.
    Did any of it help?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Here's how I verify the finds....

I use a Garmin GPS'r so I have Mapsource software loaded onto my laptop. I use my premium membership and create a bookmark listing, that's why there are 36 of them attached to the cache listing. Once I have the bookmark, I create a pocket query and download that into GSAK. From there I create a Mapsource file and that's when the finds show up as map of Maine. From the coords on each page of the DeLorme gazateer, I created tracks on a map and that's when I can tell if you have found all of the maps. I know it sounds involved, but the the only tedious part was creating the map with the grids on it. I can thank kayakerinme for helping to show me how. Great question, if you have any more let us know.

Is this the cache you were looking for? Vinal Haven - Carver's Harbor. The easiest place to find Maine DeLorme challenge caches that have been done, is by looking in the bookmark listings on the cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...4-c236bcfe1d11
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

As Mike suggested, the Maine Challenge Cache Help article will give you some resources. The MapDelorme macro listed there is great if you use GSAK, it will populate a column with the Delorme map pages (see pic below) as well as output a map of your finds if desired.

As suggested Carver's harbor seems like the logical cache, but I don't see your log there. Maybe you forgot to log it? Did you do any other caches that day?

If you are just using PQs of Maine caches archived caches will not show up. To know which caches gc.com has you listed as found, you'll need a myfinds PQ, your archived finds will show up there.

Last edited by brdad; 09-21-2011 at 05:38 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

As I search for Carvers Harbor, can you give me more info? I just did a my finds pq-ones that I have found, ones that are disabled as well. What would I do to get the archived caches on a pq as they don't seem to be any on the listings I made. Also, if Carvers is now archived, how do I find it anywhere and I assume it would be too late to do a log on it, correct? Thanks. This could be a long thread and I apologize for my stupidity in these matters. Thanks everyone for helping.

Thanks Team 2 hunt, I used your listing above, don't know how you found it, and completed the find. Thanks.