vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't shoot me.....

Exclamation Please don't shoot me.....

Now that I have your attention. I am reminded that with cooler temps and the changing color of the leaves, deer hunting season will start this Saturday, October 29th. While moose and bear season have been underway for the past few weeks, many more hunters will take to the woods for the upcoming deer season.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/...t_traplaws.htm

Some cache owners will use the appropriate icon for hunting and let you know that the area in which they placed the cache allows hunting. Be careful of hunting caches where the icon is not present as not everyone utilizes this function while designing their cache page.

Please be safe and remember to wear orange when out in the woods.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-25-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: bad image links
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I was caching in a wildlife preserve that at the trail head there was a sign that said just because it's posted no hunting doesn't mean people don't still hunt, wear orange for safety....good idea, not everyone follows the laws

Some people don't know where they are.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The chances of a geocacher being shot are very slim. Very slim. Still, it behooves everyone to be safe out there. Wear orange, at least one piece if you're just in the woods. If you're carrying a firearm during the rifle and black powder seasons for deer, you must wear two pieces and one of them has to be a hat. The hat has to be solid orange but can have a logo on it. Be sensible, don't wear white or wave your white hankie around. You should be 100% safe because the law states the hunter has to be sure of his/her target but let's not tempt fate.

Would it be true, would it be true.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I was out in the woods yesterday (Wednesday, 10/26) and I came across a couple of hunters. They were only setting up their tree stands, so I was in no danger. Still, the blaze orange is a good thing to remember. Me, I think I'll stick with P&Gs and a lot of caching in Portland. Should keep me relatively safe.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I was out caching the other day walking along an old dirt road (yes I was decked out in orange) when three quick gun shots so close by it caused me to dive behind a rock wall. I peeked about and didn't see anyone then, but several minutes later came across the bird hunter field dressing his kill. I will be caching urban areas until hunting season comes to an end.

I'd almost bet more people are accidentally shot in urban areas than they are in the woods. Gotta be safe and aware no matter where you are. But wear your orange just in case.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Okay, you got my attention with "Don't Shoot Me." So, I am tempted.

"Warden service investigates shooting of Sebago hunter
    The Maine Warden Service on Sunday was investigating the fatal shooting of a hunter a day earlier.
    Wardens said Peter Kolofsky, 46, of Sebago was wearing hunter orange when he was shot Saturday afternoon. He died at the scene.
    Officials said Kolofsky was shot by William Briggs, 61, of Windham. Both men were deer hunting, but they were not hunting in the same party.
    No summonses had been issued and no charges had been filed Sunday.
    Saturday’s shooting came a day after two other hunting-related shootings in Maine. A New Hampshire man was in critical condition after being shot in the stomach in Casco. In Oxford, a hunter was shot in the lower leg by a friend.
    The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife said Kolofsky was the first hunting fatality in the Maine woods since 2008. Last year, there were seven shooting incidents, all of them involving bird and turkey hunters."