vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Construction

Hybrid View

Default Basic Construction

I had the flu a couple weeks ago and took two days off. Because I was up to date on all my other shows on Netflix I ended up diving in to Survivor Man, Dual Survivors, and some Man vs. Wild episodes I hadn't watched. While I know a lot of it is staged, I figured it would be fun to go out and make some sort of survival shelter type structure using what is out there just to see how long it would last. While its a bit too chilly at this point to do it along were I usually kayak (and the beavers would tear it apart to get materials for their own dam), I was thinking I'd do it in one of the city's woodsy parks (Brown Woods, Prentice Woods, etc). I've looked around a bit but couldn't find anything that says its not allowed. If you are just using downed trees and what you find on the ground, anyone think this would cause problems?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I would like to join when you figure it out
    Have you seen dual survivor in Maine?
    Moo

I would contact the city or town you're talking about if it's in one of the parks within the city limits. Otherwise you might find yourself being visited with less than enthusiastic support being shown by your visitors.

I say next year we send Corey off to Halfmile with a machete, 20 feet of parachute cord, an empty tin can, and a broken cell phone. We'll come up to rescue him the next morning and if he has a shelter built and breakfast cooking he can log the find....
    Last edited by brdad; 10-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I'm not talking like some massive log cabin and not something directly trailside either. Just some little lean to type structure or an impromptu teepee or something. Maybe even out in the Bangor City Forest somewhere instead of one of the smaller parks...I don't think it would be a problem. I just think it would be fun for someone to come across out in the middle of the woods and it would be fun to practice building something like it.

Cano, I haven't seen the Dual Survivor episode from Maine as they only have like the first 10 episodes on Netflix so far. Cody drives me nuts not wearing shoes. The idea that you would survive better not wearing shoes out in the wilderness than you would wearing shoes is just crazy. I do think its funny that they show Dave banging the animals on the head or bashing them on a tree when he catches them. PETA must love that show.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

We've come across a few of these structures while caching or just out in the woods. The more urban ones are more likely made by homeless people. I think it'd be pretty tough in many locations using all dead material and that you would end up cutting some smaller stuff. Which means you'd likely need permission in the city woods. One built in Maine would likely be roofed with boughs from coniferous trees, and there are fines for cutting those off for wreaths. I'm sure a place could be found where you could build one with permission.

We've watched all or nearly all of those shows - I was not so impressed with the Maine episode of Dual Survival but they can't all be good.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I would like to join when you figure it out
    Have you seen dual survivor in Maine?
    Saws the Dual Survivor episode just the other night and they said they were in the north Maine woods but near the end of the episode they walked out to an opening and there was the ocean and a freighter going by. Hmmm I thought I was seeing things but is the ocean any where near the north Maine woods?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Saws the Dual Survivor episode just the other night and they said they were in the north Maine woods but near the end of the episode they walked out to an opening and there was the ocean and a freighter going by. Hmmm I thought I was seeing things but is the ocean any where near the north Maine woods?
    Anything is possible on TV.

That puzzled me as well. My only thought is that they have to have been over in Washington County somewhere. Not Northern Maine to anyone that knows Maine, but to many anything North of Lewiston is Northern Maine.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That puzzled me as well. My only thought is that they have to have been over in Washington County somewhere. Not Northern Maine to anyone that knows Maine, but to many anything North of Lewiston is Northern Maine.
    But, even in Washington County, they would have encountered a paved road well before seeing the ocean in most of the county, if not all of the county. I'm not familiar enough with the area east of the Machias area.