vb:literal>

Thread: Virginia Visitor

Hybrid View

Default Virginia Visitor

Hello Geocachers!!

My name is tirmite (Kevin) and my family is planning on atrip to the New England States, with Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire in mind.We live in Virginia and have two young cachers ages 6 & 9 and are lookingto do some caching and site seeing in your state(s). Laughing Terry recommendedthat I join the Maine Geogroup to get some travel tips for caching and touring.I could not think of a better group to ask for such. We are looking to spend 1-2weeks between the states, and do some outdoor activities and site seeing thatcachers from Maine have enjoyed and would recommend, that we don’t have here inVirginia. I have requested a travel guide from your state and it was limited onthings of our interest. Does anyone have any recommendations for sites, cabins,and such?

Thank you, Tirmite

Welcome to GCMe. When do you have plans to be up here? Soon, or next year sometime will make a difference of course. Also did you have a particular area in mind? The New England states certainly have lots of varied areas to explore and cache in.
    Happy Trails!

Next July/August, We have the two children and are interested in cultural and sights that we can't see here in VA. I never have seen moose, lobstering, rocky coast line ect.... We plan to cache and move about the region.

Greenville and Eustis areas are prime moose spotting areas. Eustis has an awesome amount of caches. Many are very family friendly. As far as the coast goes then most anywhere is good. You may want to visit Acadia National Park, or further up the coast for a more real Maine experience. As your trip gets closer you should check back for some more specific recommendations on caches. Bangor has a transportation museum that kids may like and depending on their ages there are children's museums in both Bangor and Portland. Up in Patton there is a lumbering museum that is very interesting as well. Hope this helps.
    Happy Trails!

Cool Vermont

What else but their lovely covered bridges. Lots of them have caches, but a closer look is necessary as tropical storm Irene did some damage this past September. Things should be somewhat back to normal by the time you travel north.

If you come to Maine first, you can take route 302 west through North Conway, NH and on through the White Mountains. One of the most scenic drives in new England, ending up in St. Johnsbury VT. Lots of places to stop and enjoy some of the local culture. The trip south in Vermont should include a drive down route 100.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Thanks for the travel tips and sights, I will have to place pins on the map!!!

1st International EarthCache Event GC33E6X Should be planned out for you.

First cache placed in Maine is The Fort Williams Cache GC128.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.