vb:literal>

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Hotspots in Maine

Thumbs up

I suggest that a field be entered so that the STATE would show up in GSAK. I know this doesn't sound like much but I think it would be helpful to those living near the NH border and to those of us from other states. That way a GSAK search for Maine goecaches would also bring up the hotspots. A local search(ie 25 miles around Waterville ) would automatically include only those hotspots within the search area.

You have done a great job so far. Keep up the good work.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    This looks like a good list! I would suggest that the final waypoints be placed into individual GPX files for each county. This would let the user choose the counties they are most likely to be in and not load up their GPS with excessive "non-cache" waypoints. For the power users that have a bazillion waypoints available, there could be a "whole state" GPX available as well.
    That is an idea, but I wonder how many of us are going to load these into our GPSrs? It is hard telling how people would use it, but I myself think I will be viewing the file on my laptop, probably with EasyGPS, where I can view and sort the list by my current location and either upload or hand enter an individual point.

There is also the possibility of needing several counties anyway, if you are caching near a corner of one. I think we can start with this one file, and if demand requires, we can split it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I suggest that a field be entered so that the STATE would show up in GSAK. I know this doesn't sound like much but I think it would be helpful to those living near the NH border and to those of us from other states. That way a GSAK search for Maine goecaches would also bring up the hotspots. A local search(ie 25 miles around Waterville ) would automatically include only those hotspots within the search area.

You have done a great job so far. Keep up the good work.
    Hmm, my original intent was to just do Maine. I can see where some cachers are on the border enough to warrant it. I wonder if there is a NH geocaching group we could convince to do something similar? if we start at NH, what's next, Mass?

There is no other field in an EasyGPS created file viewable in programs like GSAK. But, we could add it to the description field (I am not sure what the character limit is), or we could use different naming conventions for the waypoit. Right now I am just prefixing them with a "W", so it's easy to tell what it is, but we could use WME or something of that sort if need be.

Just because it is a public library does not mean it has wireless access. You can not just add the library to the list until someone has actually verified that they can connect to it wireless. Otherwise the credability of the list will not be worth a damn.
    Blazing Troll

Thumbs up

OK. I guess that I missed the part about it being done in EasyGPS. I think what you are doing is great and I now realize that if I load them with my caches in GSAK they will come up withe the caches that I intend to load becayse they will be within the search area anyway.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    There is also the possibility of needing several counties anyway, if you are caching near a corner of one. I think we can start with this one file, and if demand requires, we can split it up.
    Good point... I expect some people will put these waypoints into GSAK and filter them along with all the other caches before their trips. That way the hotspots are in close proximity to the caches.

I would keep it as one file. If we add another state, then add another file. We're not talking about hundreds of WiFi hotspots, like caches. And a one file would be a lot easier to manage, too.

d’76 Guest

Default Have you seen this

I just thought before we went really crazy with this Wi-Fi data base you would like to see this

http://www.wardriving.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I just thought before we went really crazy with this Wi-Fi data base you would like to see this

http://www.wardriving.com/
    Keep in mind that the WiFi database we're preparing is for FREE, PUBLIC hotspots. It will not include private, unsecure wireless networks.

But having said that, if you're going to do any wardriving, you should try the NetStumbler program. It's great. Lets you know when to pull over! LOL!

We're also hoping for reliable spots. We'd rather see a few spots within a given area that have a 98% chance of existing over a year than 20 spots that might exist for 2 weeks.

Speaking of which, gotta get back to this project, things have been a little busy this week....