vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Registration is open for Maine residents!

I looked at the event page. There it shows how many have indicated they will attend.

Not a direct correlation, but there is enough of a margin that you should not be worried. Especially since the first ones are going to Mainers and there are not 500 Maine cachers.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I looked at the event page. There it shows how many have indicated they will attend.

Not a direct correlation, but there is enough of a margin that you should not be worried. Especially since the first ones are going to Mainers and there are not 500 Maine cachers.
    Really? I would have thought there would be 500 cachers in Maine. What does everyone else think,are there 500 Maine cachers?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It would be nice if some consideration could be given to those who actively both place and retrieve caches in Maine with a "foreign" address. Of our 5449 finds 1507 are in Maine. Will be there regardless.

Anniebananie

Quote Originally Posted by anniebananie View Post
    It would be nice if some consideration could be given to those who actively both place and retrieve caches in Maine with a "foreign" address. Of our 5449 finds 1507 are in Maine. Will be there regardless.

Anniebananie
    You could move. You probably like it here better anyway.

From Brdad's statistics

Number of cache hiders who hid their first Maine cache by year:
    2001 - 35 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2002 - 114 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2003 - 105 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2004 - 109 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2005 - 124 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2006 - 199 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2007 - 150 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2008 - 174 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2009 - 186 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2010 - 248 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2011 - 185 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2012 - 4 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache

That would mean 1633 cachers hid their first cache. Assuming that 90% are Mainers and 75% of those are still active then that would mean about 1100 are still active and have hidden a cache. If we then add 600 to it for cachers that have not hidden a cache it means there may be about 1700 Maine cachers.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by anniebananie View Post

Anniebananie
    Works for me . . . simply because Maine used to be part of Massachusetts . . . and some parts of Maine even today feel and look a lot like Massachusetts.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    From Brdad's statistics

Number of cache hiders who hid their first Maine cache by year:
    2001 - 35 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2002 - 114 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2003 - 105 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2004 - 109 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2005 - 124 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2006 - 199 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2007 - 150 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2008 - 174 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2009 - 186 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2010 - 248 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2011 - 185 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
    2012 - 4 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache

That would mean 1633 cachers hid their first cache. Assuming that 90% are Mainers and 75% of those are still active then that would mean about 1100 are still active and have hidden a cache. If we then add 600 to it for cachers that have not hidden a cache it means there may be about 1700 Maine cachers.
    I don't believe any of that. First thing I was trying to alleviate the anxiety that fins up was having, and I was speaking off the cuff.

Statistics and realaity... just like most things in life the information is what it is.

In my experience most people that start out caching no longer do. The seems to be a threshold at about 75 to 100 found. Many start and find a few, put out a few and then disappear. I am confident that a large portion of the cachers from 2001 are no longer active. A lot of the caches from then are gone too, and so on, and so on. So 75% is a big stretch. even 50% would be hard to believe. I can name 15 just off the top of my head that have disappeared in the last couple years in this area. I think 25% to 35% is more realistic. and that brings us back to about 500.

Out of those that are caching, how many are into the trackables enough to go through the hassle to get a coin. Sign up months ahead of time and lay out the money so far ahead. Not many.

Looking at the event page and seeing how many Mainers have signed up so far proves my figuring. Then again some will not want to go to an event of any kind.

I stand by 500 cachers is about good for Maine.

And Brdad just makes those things up.

I don't know if it was anxiety as much as me not wanting to drop $55 and end up with the same coin someone could get for $10. I know I get other stuff too but my main reason for choosing the level I chose was to get the commemorative coin. That being said I think I probably made it in the first 500 and I am sure that the event is going to be well worth the $55 anyway.

As for the number of active cachers.....I think it is somewhere between Eki's and Sabby's numbers
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

I just tried the link to register and it brought me to the registration page, but won't let me sign up. Does anyone know if there's another way to register?

Quote Originally Posted by ampmdp View Post
    I just tried the link to register and it brought me to the registration page, but won't let me sign up. Does anyone know if there's another way to register?
    I just tried it and it worked for me. It is just set up for Mainers at this time. Are you a true Mainer? I was born in Calais but was brought up in Connecticut so I may not be considered a true Mainer. Like my grandfather would say...Just because the cat has kittens in the over doesn't make them biscuits so clean that butter off them!