vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just to start a conversation! delayed logging a find?

Here is another date-related practice I don't get. While doing a challenge cache, for example the Maine Delorme Challenge, for which the 'final' for is in Topsham... A cacher finds and logs the physical cache while working on the challenge, then two months or two years later, finds caches on all of the map grids and logs the 'final' cache as found online at that point without re-visiting the 'final' cache after meeting the challenge's requirements. This just does not make sense to me.

I'm not sure as I'd call it cheating, it just does not seem right. It's kind of like handing a student a diploma before he graduates.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-30-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Here is another date-related practice I don't get. While doing a challenge cache, for example the Maine Delorme Challenge, for which the 'final' for is in Topsham... A cacher finds and logs the physical cache while working on the challenge, then two months or two years later, finds caches on all of the map grids and logs the 'final' cache as found online at that point without re-visiting the 'final' cache after meeting the challenges requirements. This just does not make sense to me.

I'm not sure as I'd call it cheating, it just does not seem right. It's kind of like handing a student a diploma before he graduates.
    Ran into that a while ago too. Apparently you can find these fiscal caches and log them before actually meeting the challenge. Can anyone say *asterisk*
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I believe I saw that on a log for the 50 states in Maine challenge a couple of months ago. It seems like someone had found the final one and said they would log it "OFFICIALLY" once they had found all of the others. It seemed odd but hey to each his own.
    I have started working on th delorme challenge and one thingthat I havec realized is that I spend 90% of my time on about 5 or 6 maps in the atlas. doing the challenge is a good excuse to see every part of the state Several camping trips and day trips will be used this year to see the state and get a cache or two on all of those pages.

I agree with you on the time spent in one area caching. I have most of my finds in Kennebec county. I have yet to make a find in all 16 counties even. I would like to complete the Delorme challenge some day. I think that is a nice accomplishment. I bet there are many, many Mainers who have lived here all their lives and never traveled to all the grids.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

The DeLorme Challenge was one of my favorite caches . . . 1) it got me to areas of the state I have never been and 2) I had a great time doing it with several good friends and when my very good friend Hiram and I finished off the last cache on a roadtrip/camping trip it was just a really good feeling -- a sense of accomplishment.

I highly recommend doing the Maine DeLorme Challenge . . . but do it with a friend or two to share in the experience. It makes things so much sweeter.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Because I'm so devilishly handsome and not that bright, I have found a cache, failed to log it, returned to grab the cache later, realized that I found it before, and failed to log it a second time. My father used to look at me funny every once in a while.....
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I was looking on line this past week and saw one I knew I had done without a smily face. So now that it is under snow and only 3 ft from a main (lol) road I don't want to show it to any mugglers who might be driving by, it has made me wander did I forget to log it or did mapachi delete my log entry for some reason. I will drop him an email in the next few day's to find out or wait till spring and re-sign the log.

Delayed log...now could someone confirm for me what it means when you go to the computer cache page to log in and it says date logged? Are you logging there the date on the moment you are there to log it on the computer, or are you putting in the date that you signed the logbook at the cache site?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

in my opinion that is the day you signed the log in the cache. if not you would not be able to change it. if it was the day you log in geocaching.com it would only be the default date.

I use my field notes from the PN-40. That automatically sets the date to when I actually mark it as found on my GPSr which I do right after I physically sign the logbook.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana