vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event 2005

oh the pressure!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Default Kayak Cache event

Triple-G (Dana and Nancy) will be attending and camping overnight. I posted my reply on the "other" website, but my husband thought I should post on here too. I just went to the Old Quarry Campground website, and it looks really nice. What will the cost be for us? About what time do you expect to be there? We are going to drive there on our own, and not meet at Wal-Mart. Umm...guess that about covers it. Should we exchange cell phone numbers in case of change in plans?

I can not remember but I think each person was $14 for addons to the campsite. That was what the wweb site said anyways.

As far as what time we are going to meet. Hmm. Some of us are meeting at Walmart in Augusta at 7 am. I don't know the exact driving time. But I created a route on my Topo and it told me the driving time was 2 hours and 36 minutes. So I am guessing we should all meet about 10 am. That will give us 1/2 hour to play with. What does everyone think of that?
    Blazing Troll

Default kayak event

2 1/2 hours is a generous estimate - whether you head to bgr and come down from there or if you head to belfast. given summer saturday traffic, this is probably an accurate estimate. it usually takes me 2 hours and 15 min (or less), but i drive pretty fast i think it is shorter going to belfast, and certainly prettier. also, i was talking yesterday to my friend judy hill, who gave the shore acres preserve land to the island heritage trust. she told me that the nature conservancy and the iht have decided to discuss geocaching. they thought they would not let geocachers put caches in their preserves. judy told them that all the preserves already had caches in them. the nc and iht are concerned with trash and people tromping on the mosses. i told judy that most of us are very ecologically aware /concerned and that most of us also practice cito. she said she had absolutely no problem with cachers and would be happy to pass my info on. (she is on the board of iht) i told her that now i was hesitant about putting my new cache out in the barred island preserve, but she said to go ahead. so i have 2 new caches out for the event.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I can not remember but I think each person was $14 for addons to the campsite. That was what the wweb site said anyways.

As far as what time we are going to meet. Hmm. Some of us are meeting at Walmart in Augusta at 7 am. I don't know the exact driving time. But I created a route on my Topo and it told me the driving time was 2 hours and 36 minutes. So I am guessing we should all meet about 10 am. That will give us 1/2 hour to play with. What does everyone think of that?

Hmmm... Seems like there is a $6 parking fee for "non-campers" - has this been waived? Seems like they'd do us a favor to give the place the publicity...

http://www.oldquarry.com/rates/ratesheet2005.pdf

What is the plan? Have the "event" before the kayakers start out or after?

Angry Unable to attend

Unfortunately we won't be there this weekend. Seems like another trip to visit our daughter will take it's place. But, there are other priorities you know. Enjoy and we will see you at the Sept. event.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Hmmm... Seems like there is a $6 parking fee for "non-campers" - has this been waived? Seems like they'd do us a favor to give the place the publicity...

When I talked to them last they told me that visitors did not have to pay anything. I will call to confirm it again.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    2 1/2 hours is a generous estimate - whether you head to bgr and come down from there or if you head to belfast. given summer saturday traffic, this is probably an accurate estimate. it usually takes me 2 hours and 15 min (or less), but i drive pretty fast i think it is shorter going to belfast, and certainly prettier. also, i was talking yesterday to my friend judy hill, who gave the shore acres preserve land to the island heritage trust. she told me that the nature conservancy and the iht have decided to discuss geocaching. they thought they would not let geocachers put caches in their preserves. judy told them that all the preserves already had caches in them. the nc and iht are concerned with trash and people tromping on the mosses. i told judy that most of us are very ecologically aware /concerned and that most of us also practice cito. she said she had absolutely no problem with cachers and would be happy to pass my info on. (she is on the board of iht) i told her that now i was hesitant about putting my new cache out in the barred island preserve, but she said to go ahead. so i have 2 new caches out for the event.
    Becket

My suggestion for people hiding caches in a preserve like this would be to make the caches easier to find so that way people will not end up trampeling the moses and other items while trying to find the cache. But this is just my suggestion.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?

Bruce

I just called the campground and if you are only visiting you don't have to pay the $6 fee. The $6 fee is for people who are parking there and are going kayaking and things like that for the whole day. But if you vistiting another site there is not fee.

The price for spending the night is $14 per person. They said about 20 people can fit on the site camping wise if we put the cars in the parking lot. I can not confirm this because I have never been there. Maybe we can get Becket to drive down there one day before the weekend and see how big site #1 is.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Becket

My suggestion for people hiding caches in a preserve like this would be to make the caches easier to find so that way people will not end up trampeling the moses and other items while trying to find the cache. But this is just my suggestion.

I agree with Rick (Attroll) if you had a cache, let's say in a rock wall, then of course people are going to move rocks and such trying to find the cache. Make it accessible easily enough so nothing has to be disturbed in order to find the cache. It's hard to practice LNT (leave no trace) when you have to tear a wall apart looking for the cache especially when the hint says in a rock wall. The same goes with preserves and such where you have to go off trail,in order to find the cache. Keep it off trail enough so the ordinary visitor wouldn't come across it but a cacher would have to look a little harder. Hope that made some sense.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.