vb:literal>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event 2005

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Bruce

I just called the campground and if you are only visiting you don't have to pay the $6 fee. The $6 fee is for people who are parking there and are going kayaking and things like that for the whole day. But if you vistiting another site there is not fee.
    You 'da man!!!

I hate caches where you have to pay to get in. There was one cache in New Brunswick where the fee to get into the park was $8 EACH. (We didn't pay, we didn't search, and we didn't log the DNF...)

Default preserve caches

i have certainly been aware when i placed my caches of the damage that could be done in the areas by a lot of people. my shore acres cache is a woods-y area with no moss, the tennis preserve and my new one (not listed yet) are on the shore, so no damage should occur. the crockett cove cache is in a mossy area - and i do worry about that. if my guilt gets the better of me, i will remove it. i know the woman who oversees the crockett cove preserve, and believe me, she knows i put a cache there and will come at me with a vengance if it gets to be a problem. none of my caches are that far off the trails. it kinda bothers me that the nature conservancy and island heritage trust are zeroing in on cachers, when there are tons of people all over those preserves all the time. anyway, i will check out the quarry campsite - maybe on weds - and will let you all know about parking, etc. i'm looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

UGH - not looking like I will make it after all - bummer!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Default campground update

okay. i went to the campground. i got really pissed at the owner (sorry - i need to use my nice words lol) the woman behind the counter (not the owner) told me that it is $28 for the first 2 people, then $14 a person after that. i have no idea why they just don't say $14 a person, unless my math has gotten really bad. i looked at the campsite, am pretty sure it was #1, it wasn't marked that i could see, but if they told you guys 20 tents, it's probably pretty accurate. it's not far from the bathhouse/laundry/restrooms building. it looked like a nice spot. i drove through the parking lot and there seemed to be plenty of spaces. there is another space just before the campground that may possibly be used. so i wouldn't worry about parking. the woman behind the counter said that they charge $6 for non-campers to park because it takes away spaces their customers could be using. (i think there's plenty of space.) she said several times that they would work things out with you guys when you get here, as to prices and parking. so i hope one of you, when you get here, asks me my opinion of people who move to the island and start a business.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

10 works for us, and as for the rest of the "stuff", we'll deal with it when we get there...looking forward to it and to meeting you all....

When I talked to them on the phone they did not say that the site had room for 20 tents they told me there was room for 20 people. They also told me that there would be no charge for people that were visiting our site. They said the people who get charged the $6 parking fee are the people who use the boat launch and are gone all day.

I sure hope it was site #1 you looked at. It sounds big. They did tell me that site #1 was the biggest non-RV site they had. So it should be the right one you saw. Thank you Becket for looking for us.

On a good note. I am picking up my truck from the shop tomorrow. I was worried it would not be fixed in time to bring the kayak's with us Saturday.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    So I am guessing we should all meet about 10 am. That will give us 1/2 hour to play with. What does everyone think of that?
    We'll be there at 10.

Since we'll be stopping at Dunkin Donuts in Newport on the way, does anyone want us to pick up a box of Munchkins? Or does everyone else plan to stop anyway and revisit the famous micro-cache there? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    We'll be there at 10.

Since we'll be stopping at Dunkin Donuts in Newport on the way, does anyone want us to pick up a box of Munchkins? Or does everyone else plan to stop anyway and revisit the famous micro-cache there? LOL!
    Newport. That is a long ways from Deer Isle. Do you think there will be any munckins left by the time you get there. LOL.

It looks like a buch of us are meeting at the Walmart in Augusta at 7 am. From there we will get back on the Turnpike and heading north and getting off at the next exit which will be Route 3 and heading towards Belfast catching route 1 to route 15 towards Deer Isle from there it looks the the following routes 199, 175, 176, 15, Airport Rd, Cross Rd, 15A and then start looking for signs.

If I am wrong then someone send me the right directions or give me better directions. I have never been here before.
    Blazing Troll

After looking at the maps and the caches it looks like the closest cach for kayaking is 5 miles from the campground to the cache called Kayaker's Delight. So that would be a round trip of about 10 miles. It would all be island hoping every 4,000 feet or less. So my plan would be to try and navagate through the islands and get that cache and head back. I don't know if we would have time for anymore then that one. I don't know if 10 miles will be to much for others either. Unless there is a boat launch near Mountainville. When we get back we could take a couple of cars if we have time and hit the rest of the caches or do them the next day.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Blazing Troll

How feasible is it to canoe out to Deer Isle in relatively calm seas?
    Nuffer