vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event 2005

Quote Originally Posted by attroll

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    I plan on doing some fishing. Anyone want some fish for Saturday night? Mackerel? Flounder?

I like the idea of Kayaker's Delight. There are plenty of places to "shore up" if need be. I just heard the weather, and it may even be dry Saturday!!

You don't have to canoe out to Deer Island you can drive to it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    You don't have to canoe out to Deer Island you can drive to it.
    Sheesh! And I was just about to tell him that he'd be better off taking the ferry...

Just for some more info regarding the distance to Ram Island the home of Kayaker's Delight cache. I have a little program called Geocalc that measures distances between waypoints and I put in the waypoints for the campground and Kayakers Delight and I got 2.804 miles or 2.441 nautical miles so it doesnt seem to be the 5 miles that was mentioned previously but of course that is as the crow flies. JFYI
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Just for some more info regarding the distance to Ram Island the home of Kayaker's Delight cache. I have a little program called Geocalc that measures distances between waypoints and I put in the waypoints for the campground and Kayakers Delight and I got 2.804 miles or 2.441 nautical miles so it doesnt seem to be the 5 miles that was mentioned previously but of course that is as the crow flies. JFYI
    Yes you are right 2.8 is almost 3 miles. So lets just round it up to 3 miles to be safe. Now you have to remember that we can not kayak to Ram Island in a straight line. So I added a couple more miles for precaution. But we should be able to get there and back in 6 miles or less depending on what everyone wants to do. Some may want to beach on a couple islands and maybe swim or just do some beacj combing. We will just play it as we paddle along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deerisle.gif 
Views:	548 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	46  
    Blazing Troll

Default directions

i don't know the route #s (never needed them - i seem to know the roads by heart.) when you come onto deer isle, (and PLEASE enjoy the bridge - think of me driving over it twice a day), you don't have to go on the airport road. just stay on 15 down to stonington. you will go over a small bridge with a street light - being repaired - and go a mile or so further and, on the left, you will see ron's mobil, which is now an irving lol. go left here and you will be going into oceanville (where i grew up just a few years ago hahaha) go about 2 miles and you will see a marsh on both sides of the road. take the first right after that - i was just there but can't remember what the sign said. go to the very end of the road, past the sunshine seafood place. the really big building you will pass when you first go in the dirt road is the building where jfk's memorial (in washington dc) was made. the grout trail cache can be reached from the camp ground. they have made some trails. or you can go back out onto the tarred road, go right and go about 10 feet and go into the parking lot there.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Default ram island

i think you can launch small boats from the town wharf - that would put you a little closer. just check with the harbormaster, steve johnson.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    i think you can launch small boats from the town wharf - that would put you a little closer. just check with the harbormaster, steve johnson.
    What about FISHING from the town wharf???

We aren't going to be able to make it, so sorry for the short notice. Our dogsitter plans fell through, my son's car is in the garage and my aunt passed away. Too much going on at once to be able to get away and enjoy some time on our own (story of our lives!!!) we hope you all have a fun and safe trip....we'll be thinking of you....
    Triple-G