vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event 2005

Default fishing

you can probably fish most anywhere, as long as you stay out of the way of the working boats (at this point in the summer, lobster fishermen usually don't have a whole lot of patience left.) there are wharfs around, and it's beautiful in webb's cove, where you will be camping. there is an awesome stone wharf there. i don't know if it's long past mackeral fishing time - i kinda lost track when my sons took my fishing rod away from me. (i suppose it was for a good reason, but they just aren't very sporting!)
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Default mackeral

i just read in the island paper that the mackeral are here. they tend to stay around the docks, so the quarry should be a good place to catch them. the town dock or the co-op 2 dock would also be a good place to fish for them. they are so much fun to catch. now, if i can get my fishing pole back from my sons...
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I look forward to seeing all who are going. People have been emailing me asking what time we are meeting at the campground. I have been telling them 10 am. There is a group of us meeting at the Wal-Mart parking lot in Augusta at 7 am Saturday morning and leaving from there. I don't think it will take us till 10 am to get to the campground but we can hang around and get setup if no one is in out site. If someone is in our site then we will linger around somewhere for 1/2 hour. The check in time is 10:30 so last nights group has to be out by then.

So here is what I have for directions form Becket.

Stay on 15 down to Stonington, you will go over a small bridge with a street light - being repaired - and go a mile or so further and, on the left, you will see Ron's mobile, which is now an Irving lol. Go left here and you will be going into Oceanville (where i grew up just a few years ago hahaha) go about 2 miles and you will see a marsh on both sides of the road, take the first right after that - I was just there but can't remember what the sign said. Go to the very end of the road, past the sunshine seafood place, the really big building you will pass when you first go in the dirt road is the building where JFK's memorial (in Washington dc) was made, the grout trail cache can be reached from the camp ground. they have made some trails or you can go back out onto the tarred road, go right and go about 10 feet and go into the parking lot there.
    Blazing Troll

Here is the email I have been sending to everyone. Here is a listing from the web site of people who have replied that are coming so far:

Team Min Dawg = ?
    Ordinaryshark = ?
    haffy6 = non kayaker
    mainiac1957 = kayaker (1)
    Team2hunt = ?
    cameoooooo = non kayaker
    mbhhholm = unsure if coming
    Sudonim = kayaker (1)
    TAT = kayaker (1)
    Blazing Trolls = kayaker (2)

There are several of us meeting in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Augusta Saturday morning at 7am. We will have kayaks on our vehicles. But that may be out of the way for you. We plan on meeting at the campground at site #1 at 10 am. The check in time is 10:30 for the campsite so if we are early we will just linger around for a little bit. Some will probably be there a little earlier but I figured 10 am for a start. We can socialize for a little bit and then those of us wanting to kayak can head out kayaking. We plan on kayaking out to Kayaker's Delight cache and then getting that and then deciding from there whether we are going to kayak more or head back to the campground. There are going to be some that are not going to kayak and I don’t know which category you are in. Those people can stay at the campsite and socialize and do what ever they want while the rest of us are kayaking or can head out as a group doing all the local geocaches in the area while we are kayaking. There are 9 geocaches on the island that we will be on. There are also some on the way to the island. This is an overnight event so you arte more then welcome to pitch a tent and camp with us. The price is $14 per person.

I have never bee n to the island or campground but I have been told by someone who lives there that you stay on route 1 out of Belfast for about 11 miles and then take route 15.

From route 15 this is the word for word directions she gave me “stay on 15 down to Stonington, you will go over a small bridge with a street light - being repaired - and go a mile or so further and, on the left, you will see Ron's mobile, which is now an Irving lol. Go left here and you will be going into Oceanville (where I grew up just a few years ago hahaha) go about 2 miles and you will see a marsh on both sides of the road, take the first right after that - I was just there but can't remember what the sign said. Go to the very end of the road, past the sunshine seafood place, the really big building you will pass when you first go in the dirt road is the building where JFK's memorial (in Washington dc) was made, the grout trail cache can be reached from the camp ground, they have made some trails or you can go back out onto the tarred road, go right and go about 10 feet and go into the parking lot there.”

I don’t know what time you plan on arriving. But if you get there and there is no one at site #1. Just make yourself at home and comfortable and someone will most likely show up shortly. I don’t know what time us kayakers will be coming back in from kayaking. But we will be heading out probably between 10 and 10:30 or shortly after. But the site is everyone’s. This started out as a kayak event cache for kayakers but a lot of people showed interest in coming that were not going to be kayaking. So now there are two groups. The kayakers and the non kayakers.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Here is the email I have been sending to everyone. Here is a listing from the web site of people who have replied that are coming so far:

Team Min Dawg = ?
    Ordinaryshark = ?
    haffy6 = non kayaker
    mainiac1957 = kayaker (1)
    Team2hunt = ?
    cameoooooo = non kayaker
    mbhhholm = unsure if coming
    Sudonim = kayaker (1)
    TAT = kayaker (1)
    Blazing Trolls = kayaker (2)
    Not sure how we got left off the list - with all the talking about the event I've been doing - but RULOST2? and I will be there - NON-kayakers.

Just FYI I am a kayaker,,,,borrowing Dave1976's kayak for the weekend. You forgot to mention Triple-G, they are kayakers as well as T2H is kayaking too.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I missed Triple-G's post so I guess they arent going to make it after all.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default We'll be there...

We plan to be at the campground around 10:00 or so. We will be with the driving group and probably just down for the day.

Default Hey Mike!

It will be really good to see you again. It's been way to long for sure.
    Happy Trails!

It looks unlikely that I will be able to come. It is too bad because in the scheme of things it is a "hop, skip and a jump" from MDI. Hope you all have fun. Barbara