vb:literal>

Thread: Status of STATE PARKS geocache placement's?

Hybrid View

Default Status of STATE PARKS geocache placement's?

I was snowshoeing Peaks-Kenny State Park this weekend and noticed that there is no Geocaches hidden in the park. I remember a thread ( not able to find it to update my memory) talking about getting permission to place Caches in State Parks. I know several people were looking to talk to the State folks about getting a set policy, has this happened and if so what is it? if not is it a matter of talking to each park Ranger or manager on a park by park basis? and can anyone who has Caches hidden in State Parks give any advice on what the Rangers/managers of the parks they are in had issues with. I have noticed most are very easy finds in areas that while not on the main path's/trails they are where very little damage can be done to the local fauna. i.e. huge white containers that stand out, ammo cans just sitting out in the open on tree limb's and such. I camp at Peaks-Kenny a couple of times each year and would like to place a cache or two in the park if it will be allowed, however if anyone is in the middle of setting up a state policy I would like to wait and see the policy the State comes up with first.

As far as I know, no one is openly having discussions on this matter. I think it is an issue which will need to be addressed at some point in time, hopefully before it hurts the way the game is played here. If you can get your foot in the door or any feedback talking to a ranger or two, that would be great in my opinion. I have one lead I need to check out as well.

Be sure to report back with any findings!
    Last edited by brdad; 02-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

thanks I will in the spring when they are present up there. I know mt. blue has several and rangley has at least one and so does Lily bay. I just did not want to muddy up any waters if talks were already on going is all.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    I was snowshoeing Peaks-Kenny State Park this weekend and noticed that there is no Geocaches hidden in the park. I remember a thread ( not able to find it to update my memory) talking about getting permission to place Caches in State Parks. I know several people were looking to talk to the State folks about getting a set policy, has this happened and if so what is it? if not is it a matter of talking to each park Ranger or manager on a park by park basis? and can anyone who has Caches hidden in State Parks give any advice on what the Rangers/managers of the parks they are in had issues with. I have noticed most are very easy finds in areas that while not on the main path's/trails they are where very little damage can be done to the local fauna. i.e. huge white containers that stand out, ammo cans just sitting out in the open on tree limb's and such. I camp at Peaks-Kenny a couple of times each year and would like to place a cache or two in the park if it will be allowed, however if anyone is in the middle of setting up a state policy I would like to wait and see the policy the State comes up with first.
    I know I'm not in the loop up in Maine but sure wish that members of GCMaine would try to take the reigns and do something pro active in working with the state parks and try to get something going with them. There are many states who have started things to encourage caching within their parks and I think that Maine cachers should also be willing to try and do something as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

haffy, I am from GA and whenplanning to go visit relitives I looked at the state park closest to my home andsaw 18 caches hidden around the park. a full day's worth. wish we were like that up here.

I think part of the issue is a percentage of the people would like to keep geocaching low-key and stay under the radar like letterboxing is. Deep down I would prefer it, but geocaching has been mainstreamed so much that is not really a viable option now. I would like to see something done, I think it would improve the quality of caches even if the quantity remained the same.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I still feel like a newby, even with over 150 finds. I happen to be one of those folks who want to do things the correct way so I have spent the past year and a half learning the different ways that hides are done and also do not want to over populate areas with to many non-quality caches. This year I do plan to hide several in areas that I see a need for. that is the biggest reason for bringing up the state park issue because we like to camp in them around the state along with a few trips up into the North woods each year and I would like to bring more attention to these areas.

JustPJ66 and I like seeing quality caches being published. We by-pass many GRCs because they're just placed somewhere that there's a guardrail with no other significant reason for the cache. We've done some of those but we'd much rather go somewhere that there's more than just a film cannister in a guardrail.