vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Status of STATE PARKS geocache placement's?

Ah, the Great Debate GRC's vs everything else. When I plan a geo-trip to a town or area, I admit, I try and grab a few GRC's along the way. It gives me something to look forward to on the drive. The only time I've every been overtly laughed at while trying to find a cache is on Mapachi's G.R.C. in Belgrade. No hint's but it's very tricky (like most of his caches) and the neighbors will come out and enjoy the show/give you subtle hints. I took so long they grabbed lawn chairs. Let's ask another question: Does anyone else find "Favorite" points to be odd?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Let's ask another question: Does anyone else find "Favorite" points to be odd?
    I like "Favorite" points! They let you know what other cachers have found to be worth going to see.
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"

I find favorite points to be a good tool. Like any feedback, you have to consider the details. For example, the first cache of the Alien Highway series has a lot of favorite points. That does not mean the cache itself is anything special, it's just favorited because those people liked getting the numbers doing the series. Many of the older 'historical' caches like the first placed in every state also get favorited more often than they might get otherwise.

But favorites are still a good indication. On our recent trip to Kansas, every cache on our list had at least 6 favorites, most had more than 10. There was not one cache we did where we had a "WTF were they thinking?" moment. We even found the best street sign nano that could ever be placed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07b66936-1a9b-4c90-a7c8-2f51a5946004.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	1077
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I find favorite points to be a good tool. Like any feedback, you have to consider the details. For example, the first cache of the Alien Highway series has a lot of favorite points. That does not mean the cache itself is anything special, it's just favorited because those people liked getting the numbers doing the series. Many of the older 'historical' caches like the first placed in every state also get favorited more often than they might get otherwise.

But favorites are still a good indication. On our recent trip to Kansas, every cache on our list had at least 6 favorites, most had more than 10. There was not one cache we did where we had a "WTF were they thinking?" moment. We even found the best street sign nano that could ever be placed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07b66936-1a9b-4c90-a7c8-2f51a5946004.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	1077
    I have to admit, that is Brilliant!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Of course, I Hijacked the thread. Back to the State Park issue. My suspicion is that even when you ask the park ranger, another park ranger will come along and take the cache. I seem to remember something like that happening at Two Lights or thereabouts a few years back. I know of a few long term caches at Moose Point and Reid State Park. I think that the State is missing an opportunity here. But we do live in Maine: The way life should be.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

I'd think one approach in that case would be to get in with the ranger, and see how the ranger can help in making it public to the other rangers. They must have some sort of a bulletin board in the ranger office, maybe a map of the park and the current caches placed in it would help?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Ah, the Great Debate GRC's vs everything else. When I plan a geo-trip to a town or area, I admit, I try and grab a few GRC's along the way. It gives me something to look forward to on the drive. The only time I've every been overtly laughed at while trying to find a cache is on Mapachi's G.R.C. in Belgrade. No hint's but it's very tricky (like most of his caches) and the neighbors will come out and enjoy the show/give you subtle hints. I took so long they grabbed lawn chairs. Let's ask another question: Does anyone else find "Favorite" points to be odd?
    We also enjoyed that cache, G.R.C. by Mapachi, and had the neighbor come over and chat while we looked. He didn't give us any hints, subtle or otherwise. One of my absolute favorite logs is on that cache and it's by Mapachi's daughter, Bobbi.

To get back on topic I figured i would post a link to the Georgia state parks caching site.......................http://www.gastateparks.org/Geocaching
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hi Gang! I logged in here for the first time in about a year to respond to some questions as to what Di and I have been doing. This was the first thread I saw and ironically the very issue why I got off the board a while ago. Seems to be the same issue: Go to the Department of Conservation, meet with the folks that call the shots. I found they were receptive to adopting a user friendly approach to geocaches. As far as we go, we're dealing with cancer in our lives as many of you have and many of you regrettably will. It's Di's youngest and he's stage 4 melanoma, lives in Florida, is getting great care but we're focused on Adam and not much more. We have a lot of frequent flyer miles logged to Florida but few caches. I still have 100 caches out that I have been maintaining prudently. More importantly, we still have a lot of caching friends and expect to return to the caching game in more aggressive way this summer. The kind thoughts have been appreciated! We haven't quit the caching game, we're just focused on something different to which we have little control.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Hi Gang! I logged in here for the first time in about a year to respond to some questions as to what Di and I have been doing. This was the first thread I saw and ironically the very issue why I got off the board a while ago. Seems to be the same issue: Go to the Department of Conservation, meet with the folks that call the shots. I found they were receptive to adopting a user friendly approach to geocaches. As far as we go, we're dealing with cancer in our lives as many of you have and many of you regrettably will. It's Di's youngest and he's stage 4 melanoma, lives in Florida, is getting great care but we're focused on Adam and not much more. We have a lot of frequent flyer miles logged to Florida but few caches. I still have 100 caches out that I have been maintaining prudently. More importantly, we still have a lot of caching friends and expect to return to the caching game in more aggressive way this summer. The kind thoughts have been appreciated! We haven't quit the caching game, we're just focused on something different to which we have little control.
    Good to see you Dan! I've just jumped back on as well. 2011 was not my greatest caching year, to many outside distractions. Hope to change that this year and will see you out on the trail. I emailed the Dept. of Conservation last week just to get some thoughts. Evidently they are working on a park by park policy and like the idea of caches as long as they are well hidden, trash free and maintained. There has been some thought of putting caches out that the Rangers would maintain. At the very least, Augusta seemed to be supportive.
    Geocaching Parrotheads