vb:literal>

Thread: Public campground closed at Tumbledown

Unhappy Public campground closed at Tumbledown

For many years, there was a lean to at the trail head for Little Jackson trail on Tumbledown mountain. There was also a lot of "car camping" sites, a rare thing in the southern part of Maine.

The entire area is now posted "no camping" and side trails have been permanently blocked off. There is still some parking for day hikers and the trails are still open.

So, you can "x" out those two camping symbols from your Gazateer. Sad, but it is a sign of our times.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    For many years, there was a lean to at the trail head for Little Jackson trail on Tumbledown mountain. There was also a lot of "car camping" sites, a rare thing in the southern part of Maine.

The entire area is now posted "no camping" and side trails have been permanently blocked off. There is still some parking for day hikers and the trails are still open.

So, you can "x" out those two camping symbols from your Gazateer. Sad, but it is a sign of our times.
    Some people can't keep from abusing other people's "accessible" land. Just last night RULOST2? was arguing for posting our land because of repeated abuse by hunters: overnight camping, building fires, litter, rutting up fields...

I don't want to post our land as I like to hunt and fish on the land of others. But what is the answer?

And as for CITO... I recently visited a new cache. Haffy6 was FTF, I was second. Neither Haffy or I smoke, but there were a couple of fresh cigarette buts right beside the cache. Hmmmm.... Cache owner??? Sheesh!

I didn't notice them when I was there but I wasn't really looking for them either. They could have been placed after I was there I suppose. Too bad nice serene places like that have to be spoiled by others.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default No answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    But what is the answer?

I own a piece of land that has a long tradition of open use. If I posted it, it would get seriously trashed in retaliation. All I can do is hope it continues to be treated with respect. Unfortunately, it also means that I have to be very selective about who I tell about it. No cache there!

This isn't the answer, but I don't know what is.

This is exactly why my land is now posted. I hated doing it but the 4 wheelers forced me to.
    Blazing Troll

We have 42 acres with our camp in Topsfield and 46 acres in Danforth and so far we haven't had any trouble with our land being trashed except for one spot on the main road where it seems to have developed a "turn-out" and that gets the typical beer/cigarette break trash. Tom also feels if he posted the land then it would get trashed in retaliation. We have worked to get to know our neighbors, 4-wheeler people and snowsledders who are using our land and we are trying very hard not to be "outsiders" up there and it seems to being working...we haven't had one camp break-in or any other damage so far. One time our camp door wasn't latched after friends left and the door blew open and someone driving by saw it, came in and checked the camp out, closed the door and then called us so we would know. Being landowners and "sports" we want to keep our land open to everyone and we hope they respect us enough not to trash our land. Maybe the lady who owned the Tumble down access should have tried that approach...it is hard to trash someone's property if you know them personally!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    This is exactly why my land is now posted. I hated doing it but the 4 wheelers forced me to.
    I've been lucky so far in that respect. North of my property there is nothing but paper company land for MILES. Luckily, there are a lot better access points to their roads and skidder trails than across my land! LOL!

d’76 Guest

I know the feeling. I don't have any land to speak of but I use the paper companies land. I haven't even used or registered my atv this year because it is getting to complicated to ride them. In the Old Town area every thing is locked down and who can blame them. I see the damage that immature atv riders do and its no wonder. I actually saw a guy riding his atv through a local steam here and not just to get to the other side but up and down the current. All I could see was from his belt line up and handle bars. How, you ask. don't gas engines need air to run. THe answer is Yes, but you can buy a snorkle kit just for this purpose. Like I said I won't registar my atv this year, it's almost embarrarassing to be seen one one because now people wonder was that the guy that tore up that road or the one that was ruining all the catnine tails.