vb:literal>

Thread: Whats New in the world of caching??

Default Whats New in the world of caching??

Hey all!! Apart from maintaining my own caches, I've been out of the loop for a year or two. Had a few changes in my life (Good Ones) over the past two years that have not left much time for caching. Anyway, things are starting to slow down a little and I'm feeling that itch to get back out there!!!! So what's new in caching in the last two years??? Is the sport still growing like it was or has it slowed?? Anything new I should know?? Thanks and hope to be back discovering caches soon!!!

Not a whole lot of new things happening except that the rest of the State of Maine is finally realizing that Machias isn't actually part of Canada.

Well, that and a few changes like the new challenges, souvenirs and favorites points.

Welcome back!

Looks like your last steady finds were in April of 2010, Since then, about 3100 new Maine caches have been hidden.

It seems we're getting more and more cachers and event attendance.

GC.com came out with their own version of challenge caches which I think flopped in most people's opinions. The challenges which you could claim a find for included kissing a frog, climbing a tree, or find a cache. Yes, find a cache, get a smiley for the cache AND the challenge. Anyway, challenges still exist but gc.com ended up separating the find counts of challenges from your actual cache finds.

I can't think of much else, we still have a great bunch of cachers in Maine....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Great to know!!! I actually went out and grabed a quick one before the storm hits. I felt like a new cacher again!!! Can't wait to get started again. The kids are a little older now and it will be easier to drag them along. I'm sure they are going to love it. What kid (or adult) doesn't like a little "treasure" hunting!!!

What's new? All kinds of things. You can run a pocket query of 1000 caches now. Cool challenges of doing a cache a day in a row, 366 calendar cache and some others. Lots happening on the other side of the river too.

Path tags have picked up some and trackables have seemed to slow down.

Two mega events coming. One right here in Maine and another in Mass.

Somethings never change...Brdad is still, well you know, terrible. Poor Lee, I don't know how she does it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

One of the big things I forgot to mention if you use the software is gc.com's API access and subsequently the advancements in GSAK and other geocaching applications. With GSAK you can now log your caches through GSAK, download 6000 caches per day over and above your 5 PQs per day. If you use GSAk and want to get back up to speed there is an event coming up April 14th.

GSAK v.8 Tips,tricks,and how do I make this work.. (Event)(Not chosen) (GC3CAAK) by mainiac1957 (1/1)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."