vb:literal>

Thread: Geocaching.com and Google Maps

Default Geocaching.com and Google Maps

Anyone else experiencing issues when searching for caches with Geocaching.com's map feature? I used to enjoy seeing the aerial imagery on the map page but now that Google maps are not available with GC.com, and have been replaced with MapQuest imagery, half of the map tiles never load, and the ones that do are only visible at a certain, useless scale and are of HORRIBLE quality. For a while, we could still utilize the Google Earth imagery though on a cache listing page using the small "Dynamic Map" function. Yet, in yesterday's GC.com update, the dynamic map has been replaced with .... yup.... MapQuest maps, and NO imagery. WTF! This stinks....

I don't use the gc.com maps often, usually just to see how the caches in a given area are laid out (obviously you can still view a single cache on a Google maps page). But I agree, the new maps are not much fun most days, and there are a lot of complaints in the forums.

I can understand gc.com not wanting or maybe even not being able to pay for google maps, hopefully it will improve over time. We didn't even have maps when I started!

I'll stick to using GSAk and the various Google map macros as much as I can. I also use Oziexplorer at times which can use Google or Virtual Earth maps which have some great imagery.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

hi folks, 1st post here (lurker extraordinaire), but wanted to pass on some info re geocaching.com maps...

you can scroll down on each cache page under "For online maps..." and choose google maps (it's before the log entries - sorry, can't figure out how to put screen capture on here)

there's also a greasemonkey script for firefox and even a link that works for chrome in this groundspeak thread http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=290741

and if you want to read the very heated discussion that started last month after the change, see this thread http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=290420 (wow, just saw it's up to 12 pages!)

hope this helps, and a belated thank you to everyone who has posted info, tips, and other geocaching help on this site

Available maps using the Greasemonkey script Geocaching.com extra map layers on Firefox:

OusKonNé & Cétyla
    First "North of the Border" Geocachers to complete the New Hampshire Delorme Challenge.

I don't use Firefox but I am curious anyway - does the greasemonkey script work on the map page that shows all the caches? there are a million ways to view one cache on a map, it's viewing all of them that makes it tougher.

BigFury and DaBaby - welcome to the site, feel free to join in again; the site has been in a slump lately.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wow those were both very good suggestions. Thank you. I went to download the FireFox add on and it is only for window. Being that I am an Apple guy with my MacMini Server, iPhone 4S and MacBook Pro... I use them 95% of the time and I have a Toshiba laptop which I pretty much use just for GSAK ha ha.... oh well..... still very good suggestions! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I don't use Firefox but I am curious anyway - does the greasemonkey script work on the map page that shows all the caches? there are a million ways to view one cache on a map, it's viewing all of them that makes it tougher.

BigFury and DaBaby - welcome to the site, feel free to join in again; the site has been in a slump lately.
    yes, that script is for the map that displays all caches

Kind of liked the new maps as they have been updated and were not 10+ years old. But there was a little frigging around to get them to work better for viewing.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=5012934

Groundspeak is bringing back Google Maps for their dedicated main map page http://www.geocaching.com/map/ for Premium Members only
    Maps located on individual cache pages will still be OpenStreet/MapQuest for everyone