vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Challenge Cache Guidelines

Which builder are you using?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

http://www.urwigo.com/index.php

I find it to be the most user friendly (oxymoronic phrase for building a Whereigo, I know)

I am a Mac/Apple guy so I am running it on my purely Geocaching , cheap Toshiba laptop that I use for TOPO, Street Atlas and GSAK.

I wish there were more wherigo caches near by. Maybe I will put a challenge cache to CREATE a wherigo cache, that should help. If you want to create a wherigo cache don't even bother with groundspeak builder. Try either
    http://www.urwigo.com/index.php or
    http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku...irst_cartridge (this one is web based)
    Moo

I found Urwigo to be the best. The Groundspeak one is terrible. And Earwigo is a bit cumbersome and you need to register with the owner of the site before you use it. It is actually web based. You don't have to download the software. Petr (Marcipanek) went to a Cache Event in Prague, Czech Republic last fall that was actually an 8 hour class by the writer of the Urwigo program, on how to build Whereigo cartridges.

Cano, I don't think your Whereigo challenge will meet the current Challenge Cache guidelines. I dont think you can create a Challenge that requires someone to place a cache ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I wish there were more wherigo caches near by.
    ST is correct, you can't create a challenge cache that requires anyone to place a cache or caches.

Challenge caches may not require the publication of a new cache or waymark as a challenge criteria; challenge caches must be achievable by those who do not own caches or waymarks.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I just saw the event posted and was wondering if someone can give a brief, simple, discription of what a wherigo is. thanks.

Lets see if I can explain a Wherigo...

It is a GPS location based interactive game that can be run by downloading a Whereigo "cartridge" and playing it on a Whereigo capaable device. Not all GPS units are Wherigo capable. The Garmin Colorados and Oregons are. The new Montana is not. Also many Smartphones like the iPhone and the Android based platforms have Whereigo apps available. Whereigo is now owned by Groundspeak. Not all Whereigo cartridges are for Geocaches. In fact the majority are not. But Whereigos can be incorporated into a Cache by the user playing the cartridge and at the end when you complete the cartridge, it will send you to a cache which you can log on Geocaching.com

I wasnt all that into it at first. The first one in Portland, GC1A9Y0 Portland Freedom Trail takes you around Portland's underground railroad history. A typical Whereigo will ask you questions which you must answer from your surroundings. Cano's Bangor Mini Adventure GC1WCEG is very fun.

I have done 11 so far. My favorite by far is Dunbar Dan GC2QQW4. Marcipanek and I did it after Geowoodstock this past summer. We started it at midnight in this creepy town in the mountains southeast of Pittsburgh, PA. It took us on an adventure chasing bank robbers into the mountains and to their "hideaway". It was great because there was a lightning storm and rain while we were doing it and the final location was in a cave. We literally had to climb through caves and small slot canyons in this forested mountain area to get there. We even ran into some teenagers having a bonfire and drinking out on the mountain powerline trails which we had to take to get to the cache at the end.

They are very popular in Europe and involve some wild ideas. Marcipank and Cano can tell you more about those.

I use my iPhone to play the Whereigo cartidges. I find that the iPhone app for it is very stable and works better, faster and more accurately than the Garmin devices that support it. Go to my public Geocaching profile and read my log for Dunbar Dan and look at the photos.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...7-4c4eea975d2f

Ooops!I just looked at my log and I never edited after I intially logged it on my iPhone ha ha I should go do that. Here read Marcipanek's log instead....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...0-e710b68098d9

Or read the other logs. Does that answer your question? Sorry I was so long winded....

thanks for the explanation and links.

They made some adjustments to the challenge caches once again today, but it seems just this line:

Note: Challenge caches published prior to the guideline update 3/12/12 are grandfathered into the game and do not need to comply with current guidelines.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Sometimes it bothers me when they grandfather in certain things. Like traditional caches from years ago that are really multis or mysteries. Why can't they just change the cache types on those caches to make them fit?