vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just to start a conversation! delayed logging a find?

Question Just to start a conversation! delayed logging a find?

Have you ever found a geocache but desided to not log it YET? choosing to wait until you Need one? I walk by one every time we go to the pet store yet never go back to the car for a pen to log it and now with Feb. 29th coming up and me working nights And wanting to "Get a quick one between work and home (i,e, bed) It seems liek a good time to sign that puppy and get it logged? but for people doing the 365/366 challenge I was just wondering if any one goes out on a saturday finds 7 geocaches and the n waits and goes back to sign them one at a time durring the week? Type people type it's to quiet these day's.

We've delayed finding and logging a cache (the log in the cache, not online) so that we could log it on a day we needed it.

I have not actively found logged a physical cache log one day and logged online another day. That is not right IMO.
    I have suspected where caches were and not actively seeked and logged them until a day I needed a cache.
    If a person saw a cache because it was in plain sight (for example a hide-a-key on a light pole but did not log it physically or on line until another day I'd think that was acceptable.

If a person actively seeked out and found caches so they would know where they were on a day he needed a find, I'd think that's a bit over the line. But it really does not affect other cachers a lot so I would not make a big deal about it. If they were doing the same to log the 100 day or 366 challenge they are cheating themselves.

The first cache I found I actually found and opened the day before but did not sign the physical or online log it because I wanted to bring my son there to find it with me.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

These challenges, time limits, and other constraints do not interest us normal people.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

the question just came up because we were shopping the other day and as we walked by the one I have seen in Augusta Heidi ask when did i plan to sign it, I realized it is like having a find in my pocket for when I want a souviner SP. and with my work schedule and living so far from any large concentration of caches outhere in the woods. Iwould never even try for a challende like 1oo/365/366 days. I actually am having a great time planning several trips into the northern Maine area camping and some day trips to the coast to work on The Delorme challenge this year. , My most memerable cache to date was "Harrow Mountain Fault" Earth cache, I started planning it just as the snow was begining last year and ended up going for it in the spring . Last I checked I was still the only person to have evr logged that 5/5 earthcache( my 1st) in almost 4 years now.

Brdad-- you are right I would never log a find physically one day then wait to log online another to get credit on that day. I do not see the point in it, It would be like cheating in solitare. While I like the icons you get for things at GC.com I refuse to lie to get one. I guess at 50 the only person I have to impress is myself and it is pretty hard for me to lie to me. and while still a newcomer to the addiction, I would rather find 1 or 2 caches on nice hiking trails with great views, including along the wayto them, as aposed to 10 at light poles in one parking lot. in down town "big city" but to each his own, I know somw people like doing those while others are shopping. " they do give me a reason to stay out of the stores and walk geopooch around the parking lots.hahaha.

I had a period of time where I found a cache each day for 75 days in a row. I would not have even considered finding caches one day and then logging them throughout the week. It is like you said. It would be like cheating at solitare. It would drive me crazy too.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

I've never intentionally waited to log a cache for a number-reason. But it reminded me that there is one cache we found two years ago that I still haven't logged, and that was because I wanted do it "justice" in my response. It's Laughing Terry's "Bessie's Tale" cache, and if you've found it then you know what I mean. I just keep forgetting to do it, and when I remember I don't usually have time.

I have a few in my GPSr that I have not logged. I keep forgetting and should do it before they get lost, although I wouldn't mind doing them again. But to hold off on them just to meet the constraints of a challenge is not my thing.

I will admit there are a few that I have found more than once because of this.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ampmdp View Post
    I've never intentionally waited to log a cache for a number-reason. But it reminded me that there is one cache we found two years ago that I still haven't logged, and that was because I wanted do it "justice" in my response. It's Laughing Terry's "Bessie's Tale" cache, and if you've found it then you know what I mean. I just keep forgetting to do it, and when I remember I don't usually have time.
    I do remember that cache!

I know a at least one cacher that is months behind in their online logs because they take the time to write them well. They have them all well-documented for when they do log online.

The key in that and your case is to log with the date you actually found it as it serves as a better record for you, the cache owner, and those that read the logs.

I have to log mine as I do them, because the MUST be in order! On several occasions I've deleted my logs for the day and re-submitted them so they would be logged in the correct order.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I don't think I'd intentionally not log a cache once I found it. Of course, I'm not really interested in the challenges that require finds on consecutive days.