vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTF Fariytale

The only thing about not logging that kind of sets wrong with me is if you don't log an FTF more than a day after you find it. Even that isn't life ending but it would be nice to know someone found it a couple days ago. We've gone after FTFs before to find that someone obviously found it earlier that same day and that's part of the fun of running for FTF. We even left a note in the logbook to FinsUp when we were alternating finding FTFs in our area. He said he must have looked funny standing in a cemetary laughing out loud at what he had just read in the logbook. It was great fun for us and him too. What we all need to keep in mind is that this is just a game and meant for our enjoyment. Keep it fun and don't let the muggles ruin your day. Or the non-logging FTFers.

What it is, is that many of us "run" for FTFs.... which means that we spend gas money to run based on notifications for which we pay for by having a Premium Membership. Everyone down here in Southern Maine who runs for FTFs knows each other, and we all know the ettiquette involved. Last week, I ran for 6 FTFs (4 in Portland and 2 in Saco). I had them within minutes of publication and logged each on location with my iPhone 4S. About 15 minutes into my FTF run, I got two phone calls, from local cachers who knew based on my logs that they didn't have to run. To us down here, it is competition, AND we respect each other based on the ettiquette and following of such. There are a few people down here who also do not have access to a Smartphone, to log on location.... so what do they do? They call one of us, and we post a note on the page for them so OTHERS will know. You wouldn't believe how many times, a well experienced cacher will wait all day to log their find even though they a) have the ability to do it much faster, if not even on location b) have thousands of finds, and know the importance to certain FTF runners

When a new cache gets published that I am interested in being FTF on, I add it to my watchlist for a reason. For many of this, running for an FTF means waking up early, or dropping what we are doing, and getting a move on.

Anyone who PURPOSELY doesn't log their FTF for hours, doing it to upset another cacher, or out of spite is frankly, a jerk. I will admit though, that between us runners in SOuthern Maine who all are friends, at times we purposely don't log it, just to make another one of our FRIENDS run for the cache, however, this is something that we all do to each other with good fun and we laugh about it. But for someone who KNOWS the importance of an FTF to people, and doesn't log it quickly just to upset someone else who they don't know.... is just plain rude.

In the past two weeks, I have gotten 1 FTF that was 250 miles from home, another that was 150 miles from home, another 100 miles from home, 4 that were 50 miles from home, 4 that were 25 miles from home, and several that were about 10 miles from home. Every one of those, I logged on site. I even logged the one 250 miles from home on site incurring Canadian Cell phone data charges which are not cheap )that cache was Hurricane Pond, in Delorme Grid 47 near the Canadian border)

For people to use the excuse, "oh, five years ago, no one logged on location" as an excuse, then heck... why don't you still cache with your eTrex and print out the cache listings, and decrypt the clue on the trail by hand? Technological progress has gotten us where we are. If you want to be all unibomber and cling to the stone age approach, go ahead. But you're gonna have to take the criticism from others for it.

It's funny Ekidokai, when I tried to play YOUR game by your rules, I got banned

You're welcome TH.

Waterski..... I don't stand in the rain ruining my nice technology. I either have an Otterbox Defender case or a LifeProof case on my iPhone 4S.

And I always log immediately. Heck if I have no cell coverage, I log via the SPOT on my PN-60w

And I think you failed to mention to anyone else in this thread, what else I said in my note to you. If you wish, I could find my copy of it and post it. But that's ok, most people usually leave out an integral part of the story when they complain. So we will leave it at that....

I am quite certain there was no menioned of you or ANY cacher in my posts.
    My point is exactly as you wrote. Some cachers do indeed use extrex and use paper and encript the clue on the trail. I know..I have cached with them. They don't have an android and don't want one. That does not make them a bad person. I am frankly tired of hearing about expensive updated technology. You do not need this equiptment to be a cacher. If you have it and can afford it, great.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Some of the best day's caching I have had is when I was using my "geomate JR." as low tech as you can get (no maps and on lots of caches only the lat/long and them on seperate screens so you have to tab back and forth) and those printed papers while decripting hint's by pen. actually my first 3 FTF's were with them while camping at lily Bay state park and was not able to log them until I got home 3 day's later.

Etiquette, importance, a jerk, rude, criticism
    The etiquette that is spoken of holds no merit and means absolutelynothing because it’s not part of the game. There is no expectation by normalcachers new or old on when a cache needs to be logged. Therefore the importance of such matters is nonexistent.
    So, to complain and criticize anyone that will not play yourgame is rude and childish.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I'll take not of that my friend..... one must apply what they say to their actions, or they maybe labeled a hypocrite...

Lets keep this civil, it's actually a decent topic. There is no need to instigate or to troll to get anyone excited.

So Chadd, why not do as I suggested in an earlier post - Set some ground rules with those you want to compete with, and race to be first before any in that group. If someone outside your group finds the cache first, disregard it for the sake of your group's competition. Post the rules and members as a facebook group, or even a thread here and keep a tally of who finds the most first.

I think expecting everyone to log from the site is as unrealistic as me expecting everyone to stop hiding LPCs, GRCs, or power trails. If you need to define the game to that detail, it seems the best option is to keep the game to a limited group.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."