vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FTF Fairyetale Round 2

Hey Surfacewarrior.... I found one of your signature cards in Dickey's Bridge cache in Delorme Grid 66 last Thursday afternoon. Took some pics of it in the cache. Very classy and nicely done! Just thought I'd tell you!

Thanks. DId you get up to Blacks river Bridge on grid 70. that one is not required but it was fun to do last sept. not sutre about this time of year though.

No, we didn't. Honestly, it was a purely grid run... we did over 1000+ miles (5 tanks of gas in the Jeep) in 30 hours to hit 27 total needed grids. I didn't sleep in 31 hours..... we got two FTFs long distance on the trip, and tomorrow I go downeast to get my last remaining grids.

That's exactly why I prefer not to rush to find caches - you often are passing by some great caches just to accomplish another goal. When Lee and I did some of the maps in Northern Maine, there were only three caches available on Map 56. Northern Maine Woods Virtual Tour #5, Northern Maine Woods Virtual Tour #6, and Norway Bluff. At the time there were many cachers trying to finish the Delorme Challenge, and most cachers only did the Virtual Tour #5 because it was quick and easy. We did skip Norway Bluff, but we could not pass up Virtual Tour #6, and it turned out to be one of the most memorable and rewarding spots of the trip - it was and probably still is a great spot. But now, the cache is archived - and no physical caches are allowed there. We were glad Norway Bluff was still active last year when we finally made it back up to find that one.

That's not to say we don't have to pass caches up in our travels that we want to do, there is only so much time in a day.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Right on. I have given myself until the end of sept to finish it up. I am planning most of my summer camping trips this summer to areas of the state that I need to get those pages. if you are going for page 24 Headed Down East? seems to be missing but Hale storm is there (log was soaked so I had to put the only paper I had in it last week. I had left my bag in the jeep due to treating it like a PNG while leaving geopooch in the Jeep because it is a graveyard.)

Good to know! I am headed downeast....

I would have liked to have grabbed
    GC23ENF http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC23ENF

Little Black-The Meandering River Earthcache while in 66 (since it was still unfound after two years!!! ) but we were rushing to get back down to certain FTFs... yes we may have been rushing but we had the time of our life navigating at break neck speed and finding our ways through the dirt and mud roads of the North Woods!

Also, we wanted FTF on a special Earthcache called Daggett Erratic http://coord.info/GC3FGMG

It was put out by DSKG and is at Daggett's Rock, the largest erratic/rock in Maine. It was sort of a joke cache in a way because Lexmano and DSKG are brother in laws, and Lex's last name is Dagget. If you want a good laugh, read my edited log.... its so long I had to split it in half with the second half in a note posted afterwards!

Oh and by the way, we logged both FTFs on site with iPhone

I'm just realizing - is it only the FTFs you feel the need to log from your phone?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Brdad:

Nope, it is not only FTFs I feel the need to log from my phone. I will log finds from my phone if I am just grabbing a cache here or there while around town or when I am grabbing a random cache. But when I am on a day of caching, I log everything when I get home, except for an FTF that I may get. Sometimes I log field notes to the Geocaching.com website from the phone because I can more easily type into the iPhone than my PN-60w. This is especially true on Earthcaches or Virtuals. Usually when I grab a trackable, I log it immediately on the iPhone or as soon possible when I may not have reception on site, with the iPhone.

Yesterday, while on a trip through Downeast Maine picking up the remainder of my Delorme Challenge Map grids, we came upon a cache which hadn't been found after being published three weeks prior. It was Cemetary View, and in the Lubec area : http://coord.info/GC3EGCY

We made the find, I let Marcipanek keep the FTF prize Geocoin since he likes that stuff, and I noticed I was picking up Canadian Data cell phone service roaming. Well, what did I do? I logged the cache on my iPhone anyways, regardless of the extra cost. For me, it is principle, and courtesy. I guess what I am getting from most people who comment on this topic is that although they admit realizing that FTFs are very important for a large amount of cachers, they would rather be stubborn and claim that because they don't have a certain technology (in this "high tech" game that we play) that this absolves them from being courteous, just because that is "how they play" the game. There are a lot of courteous things that a lot of us do in caching, and a lot that we don't, but when we acknowledge that we are not being courteous not because of ignorance, but because of choice, it is a bit disconcerting.

You're not going to convince everyone it's a matter of courtesy, and I have not heard any argument that has convinced me yet - though it does make sense to log any cache (FTF or not) in a fair amount of time. If anything, it's reinforced my thought that part of intrigue about FTFs is the excitement one feels as they rush to the cache. Making everyone log immediately could even be considered (for lack of a better term) dumbing down the sport, making it easier for people to only go after a cache if they will be FTF. What's next, whoever posts a note on the cache page stating their intentions to go for FTF should be the only person to go after it?

As I've stated twice, I think your best bet is to make your own FTF race group and make up any rules you like for that group.

We all have our ideas about what the unwritten standards are in this game, whether it might be long logs, nice logs, quick logs, maintaining other's caches, etc., but as surfacewarrior stated in an earlier post, the majority of cachers do not visit these or the national forums, they are just out there to enjoy a cache hunt when they have time, and are not aware of these standards.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Brdad:

Nope, it is not only FTFs I feel the need to log from my phone. I will log finds from my phone if I am just grabbing a cache here or there while around town or when I am grabbing a random cache. But when I am on a day of caching, I log everything when I get home, except for an FTF that I may get. Sometimes I log field notes to the Geocaching.com website from the phone because I can more easily type into the iPhone than my PN-60w. This is especially true on Earthcaches or Virtuals. Usually when I grab a trackable, I log it immediately on the iPhone or as soon possible when I may not have reception on site, with the iPhone.

Yesterday, while on a trip through Downeast Maine picking up the remainder of my Delorme Challenge Map grids, we came upon a cache which hadn't been found after being published three weeks prior. It was Cemetary View, and in the Lubec area : http://coord.info/GC3EGCY

We made the find, I let Marcipanek keep the FTF prize Geocoin since he likes that stuff, and I noticed I was picking up Canadian Data cell phone service roaming. Well, what did I do? I logged the cache on my iPhone anyways, regardless of the extra cost. For me, it is principle, and courtesy. I guess what I am getting from most people who comment on this topic is that although they admit realizing that FTFs are very important for a large amount of cachers, they would rather be stubborn and claim that because they don't have a certain technology (in this "high tech" game that we play) that this absolves them from being courteous, just because that is "how they play" the game. There are a lot of courteous things that a lot of us do in caching, and a lot that we don't, but when we acknowledge that we are not being courteous not because of ignorance, but because of choice, it is a bit disconcerting.
    This game is only as "high-tech" as the individual player plays it as. Some people play with smartphone, MANY don't have smartphones. Also, if you think most people are going to call you, of all people, to have you post a note on a cache, thing again. They aren't being discourteous, any FTF-hound I've known/seen will log as soon as they can. Whether that's in the field or after a day's work once they get to a computer, is fine with me. Heck, you can play this game without any sort of electronic technology in the field if you want.