vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrre-Frontiere

Default Outrre-Frontiere

OK .I will ask this question . doesn't it seem wrong that GC2D173 Outre-Frontiere who Geocaching.com list as " in Quebec, Canada " and can only be done from Quebec canada is listed as the most northern Geocache in the state of Maine? I am betting that if I or anyone tried to bushwack in to it from the US side of the border we would be picked up by the border patrol or the Mounties before we got anywhere near Ground Zero, In the US right?Anyone up to maybe getting interogated by the Border patrol for this one later in the year, for a find without leaving the state?

When viewd on the "larger map" you can zoom in until it shows the cache as being in Maine. All the logs are in French, however. Interesting.

This cache perplexes me as well. Enough so I want to go there and find it to see for myself! I have sent the owner email a while back but never gotten a reply.

When I get my PQs for Maine, the caches are limited to those being listed in in Maine. When you publish a cache, the cache owner chooses the state. I don't know if the reviewer checks to see that the listed state looks correct or if we could be choosing Alaska or some other state and they would let it go (Got an answer, Tom?). Anyway, if the cache is real close to a border, a reviewer would likely have little reason to doubt the claim, and that's likely the case with Outre-Frontiere.

Outside of my regular PQs I get for the Maine stats, I routinely get caches which are within the polygons I have for the borders of Maine but not listed in Maine. Outre-Frontiere is one of those. I don't know for sure if it's really in Maine or Canada, but every map I have used shows it as being in Maine. Even the description says he thinks it's in Maine. Regardless of whether you have to go through Canada to get there, if it's inside the Maine border personally I would consider it a Maine cache.

I'd like to know more about this cache and if it truly is not in Maine, I will remove it from the stats permanently.

Link for anyone wanting to check it out. Outre-Frontière (Traditional)(Regular) (GC2D173) by luigijambone, NB Mc****, dpTony, clouddancing, MrS (1.5/2)

Last edited by brdad; 04-16-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

funny how those two buildings appear to be on the maine side. I wonder if any property tax's are being collected by the state of maine. Maybe i need to stop here and just start working on a passport to go get this one.

From what I see, it's only a section of road in Canada you have to use to get there. According to Google maps, the border crossing is there but I don't see anything on the aerial.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Don't get any funny ideas. There are cameras and sensors. They are watching you.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Have any of you considered posting a note on the cache listing (or contacting the CO.... I'd prefer a note because more would see it, and be able to answer) inquiring about how to access this cache? From studying the Google maps imagery and then again in TOPO software, the cache IS on Maine soil. We can't let these Canadian Frenchies get away with this outrageous act of war! Okay... just kidding. But I think this cache CAN be accessed without going into Canada. Look at this Estcourt Road? Notice there is a small landing strip as well nearby several miles to the ESE? I think if you didn't want to cross into Canada to prove a point, you could do it with some hiking involved. I'm game. Anyone else? I am serious actually...

On a related note, from looking at the boundry and the towns, notice how the International Fronteir runs down a street and there are some houses of the town on the US side and some homes on the Canadian side? Interesting.... I think this is the town that a few years ago, maybe 6 or 7 if I recall, a Canadian citizen crossed over the border one night with a gun in his truck to go to the store in the town which was on the US side. Anyone crossing was supposed to report to the customs house which was only open during daytime hours. He didn't because the place was closed and he got arrested for bringing a gun across the Frontier and brought up on US Federal charges... I am going to find the story....

Lightbulb Yup, I knew it!

Yep, this is the spot that this particular arrest happened back in 2002. It was big news at the time:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/795053/posts

What do ya'all think?

@Surfacewarrior. I am up for the bushwhack to prove that it can be done from the U.S. side

Send me a PM or a message from my GC.profile please. Let's do this!

This is what the English translation of the cache listing says..... I did it in Google Translate...... obviously, it is a bit off.... or is the CO speaking in a sort of code? Also the French that they speak in Quebec, especially rural Quebec is a very old world French. I have a friend who is from Aesbestos, PQ (Yes, where they mine the dreaded aesbestos insulation.... look at it on Google Maps, you'll see the giant pit mine in the center of town!) and she has the strong old world French accent and her French, as she reminds me is the REAL French, not what they speak in Paris....

Translation:

"According toour calculations,the cachewould beinthe United States.
    Againstusbya customs officialsaid thecarrierwashidingabroad.

Thisis myfirst cache

Enjoy the park
    AssisezonMarie-Maiismade ​​for that

Happy hunting"