vb:literal>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrre-Frontiere

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Oh come on, this would be a great bonding experience for the two of us! And I thought you liked caches that you have to hike 10 miles to access??
    You can bond with Grégoire in the Canadian Prison.

Regarding my caching likes, I am often misunderstood. I like memorable caches. If it means hiking 10 miles, fine, if it means finding a neat waterfall 100 feet off the road, that is great too. I've actually done very few caches anywhere near 10 miles round trip (for one cache). Once we did kayak 12 miles round trip for a cache in a parking lot, however.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I want to do this one but I think getting a passport just to keep from getting turned back after driving that far would be the best Idea. chad I will email you tomorrow, our computers here at work do not like GC.com for some reason and keep locking up. Maybe a camping Event in july WAY up north to give evryone a chance to get a good jumping off point. Heck while up there you might as well get Black river bridge. i did it last sept and liked the area.

You did Black River Bridge? You mean the Earthcache? Oh wait, just looked. Gotcha. I think we need to do the Black River Earthcache too! Never been logged as found and been around over two years!

I'm not renewing my passport just for a GeoCache though. Maybe the ******* in me wants to challenge the Border Patrol into being pricks with me. I'm gonna get this cache without crossing into Canada. You wait and see. And if the Federale's want to question me for two hours as to why I am bushwhacking, I'll use my usual line "am I being detained?" and try to walk off, and if they say "yes", I say "what crime am I suspected of comiting?"

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    You can bond with Grégoire in the Canadian Prison.

Regarding my caching likes, I am often misunderstood. I like memorable caches. If it means hiking 10 miles, fine, if it means finding a neat waterfall 100 feet off the road, that is great too. I've actually done very few caches anywhere near 10 miles round trip (for one cache). Once we did kayak 12 miles round trip for a cache in a parking lot, however.
    I like memorable caches too, and this adventure would be quite memorable, regardless of getting to bond with Gregorie in a Canadian Prison.... don't they serve Molson Golden on tap in Canuk jails though?

Seriously though, I don't think ending up in prison is much of an issue. I don't plan on carrying a weapon if I actually may have to cross the border.

I would like to inquire to TAT though, how this cache ended up being listed in Quebec, and not Maine? A few times, as TAT can attest to, I have accidently written up a cache listing on a cache I have placed outside of Maine in another state, and forgotten to select that state on the listing page, and it has defaulted to Maine. TAT in his caped crusader outfit as MainePublisher has kindly written me a note and said he is passing along the listing to the proper reviewer for the proper state, which I have greatly appreciated. So why didn't the volunteer publisher in this case, do this, and pass it off to MainePubisher for review, or tell the prospective cache owner (by the way, have you seen the cache owner's page? he has a nice baseball bat in his profile photo.... reminds me of "The Jew Bear" from the movie Inglorious Bastards http://img.geocaching.com/user/large...2d74cd04f0.jpg ) that his cache is actually in Maine....of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and not lowly Canada, and so forth? It's quite obvious that this cache is in the U.S. So how do we go about getting this thing listed PROPERLY in Maine, and not in PQ?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    I have been reading the posts with some interest. I will never get there but am going to put in my 2 cents.

I found it interesting to translate the logs of the finders and the cache owner. Owner says passport not required, a few of the finders say they stepped on US soil.

In google maps if you zoom way in and move the little man to the area it shows 4 photos of the area. 2 are of a pedestrian bridge across the river. US flag on one side Canadian flag on the other. I believe the cache is hidden under the bridge on a cross member and accessed from the US side.

If google maps is correct you can drive to 47 26.993 69 14.085, near the junction of Rocky Brook RD and Rue de la Fontaine, and be only about 0.8 miles from the cache. It appears like there is some kind of cut thru the woods there to relatively open fields.

Well thats my 2 cents.
    My first thought was OK we do not need to leave the state to get there,BUT , after a little thinking about this a couple of things come to mind, Owner is in Canada he did not need a passport to place it but for us to get to it we might have to go to canada. if it's a big deal to "step on US soil" then they were expecting to be in Canada the complete time. ST- I think maybe parking at the US Customs office and walking the last 400 ft in peoples backyards might be the wayto Bushwack in , However the guy in the article you linked might still be working there and he sounds like, OK I'll say it, a Serious tool. sorry had to go there. and looking for a hidden container on a bridge at a border crossing might be enough to get us put on a no fly list, and I might want ot take a trip some day.

I'll have to judge the guy's worthiness to be labeled with such a pithy moniker. It takes one to know one!

Question Similiar Towns/Caches on the U.S./Canadian Border

So, I have done some more research on this topic. It appears that the town of Estcourt Station, Maine ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estcourt_Station,_Maine) is not the only one on the U.S./Canadian border which seems to have border issues which have not officially been resolved. Like some other documented instances, this town is odd because it utilizes Canadian utilities, phone number exchanges, etc all the while being on U.S. soil. I guess it makes sense, but I wonder where the law would lie and stand if someone was to, as we have discussed, never cross into Canada and make a hike to the cache through the woods and fields on the U.S. side. I can't imagine a Canadian Mountie being able to arrest me or detain me on the U.S. side, as that would be an international incident worthy of media attention. Believe me, I am intrigued and more than willing to try this.

The town of Hyder, Alaska is another one of these border towns with dubious border restrictions. It is located at the bottom of the Alaska Pan Handle and also received it's utilities from Canada, in this case British Columbia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyder,_Alaska)

In Hyder there is a cache Hyder Seek--Boundary Seeker GC30PJP (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC30PJP). This one IS in Alaska, and is properly listed in Alaska on Geocaching.com even though it is very very very close to the border.

Then you can look at Standstead, PQ /Vermont (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanstead,_Quebec_(city) ) This one is probably the largest of the towns that straddles the border. I-91 crosses into Canada here. There is a cache called The Valentine & Collins Line GCMC5V (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...aspx?wp=GCMC5V ) which is a multi and although it appears to be right on the border, it is actually IN Quebec, and IS properly listed as being in Quebec.

I guess I just find it odd that in these two other instances, the caches in these two towns on the border, are in fact properly listed as being in the correct country, yet why is the one in Estcourt, Maine NOT listed as being in Maine, even though it is quite obvious that it is?

This cache has quickly consumed me....... I am itching for an expedition....

I just found the Quebec equivalent to GeocachingMaine.org and have joined their forum. I posted about this topic just now at :

http://forum.geocaching-qc.com/viewt...p?f=17&t=12507

I am sure many of you are dreading the fact that I, SeriousTool am now representing GeocachingMaine.org internationally. I'll do my best with my diplomacy! ;-)

So, Marcipanek and I are probably going to try to do this cache next week. We are in the preliminary planning stages. After some research, we've concluded that this is probably the best way to get access to the cache since we don't know French:

Actually called Borderpatrol this afternoon. they transfered me to the main office for that region (fort kent) and the agent said all you would need to get across and back if you don't have a passport is your birth certificate. I ask about walking in completely on the US side and he said I would be seen and stopped. With everything going on where I work and things here at home I am thinking about giving this a shot in July. The border patrol actually suggested crossing at fort kent and then doing a quick run up on pavede roads with a lot less miledge and time spent. Looking into both ways.