vb:literal>

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrre-Frontiere

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Have any of you considered posting a note on the cache listing (or contacting the CO.... I'd prefer a note because more would see it, and be able to answer) inquiring about how to access this cache?
    I sent an email with a few questions, more so about why it wasn't listed as in Maine if he thought it was in Maine, but got no reply. I didn't bother top post a note on the cache page as I didn't want to stir anything up, it's not that important. I'm guessing since the CO is in Canada he may not be the best authority to question about how to get there from the US. At least one log makes it sound like they were concerned they would have border issues getting to the cache from Canada.

I translated as well and do not fully understand the "Against us by a customs official said the carrier was hiding abroad" part.

I have no doubt if the cache is in Maine (as I am confident it is) that anyone can get there without going into Canada. It may take some bushwhacking and there appears to be a small stream to cross, and some woods and fields. One question is whether you could drive there without having issues with customs. The second question is whether it's worth the risk to bushwhack, since if someone saw you and reported it, you could get in a mess with customs without even crossing the border. We got stopped once and questioned for an hour after turning around 200 feet before crossing the border in Coburn Gore. It may not be right, but if they can corrupt your day for turning around 200 feet from the border, imagine what they might do for bushwhacking behind people's houses going toward the border...
    Last edited by brdad; 04-17-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Why not just drive up to the boarder crossing and follow the road and go find the cache? Many people cross the boarder everyday.

It's not a forging country after all.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I just left a note on the cache page.

The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Why not just drive up to the boarder crossing and follow the road and go find the cache? Many people cross the boarder everyday.
    That is the most sensible approach.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I loaded it to verify, the data is consistent with the data I use for the Maine Town polygons which I acquired from the USGS and also with Google Maps. I don't think there is much doubt the cache is within Maine borders.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Wow? A "Sensible" approach from Ekidokai? Just kidding Mike.....

I kind of like the idea of bushwhacking to the cache just to prove it is accessible from Maine. Maybe make it into a Geocaching Event?!?!

TAT you can join us and make an official announcement as MainePublisher that the cache IS in Maine, we can all sign the log, take some photos, drink a few beers and be off....

I myself don't have a renewed passport. Havent had a need for it lately so I'd rather bushwhack.... then again, the border patrol is only on duty for like 8 hours a day, we could always go across when they aren't there....?

Go ahead, I'm too old to take the risk. Plus, I have an unused passport.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Go ahead, I'm too old to take the risk. Plus, I have an unused passport.
    Oh come on, this would be a great bonding experience for the two of us! And I thought you liked caches that you have to hike 10 miles to access??

I have been reading the posts with some interest. I will never get there but am going to put in my 2 cents.

I found it interesting to translate the logs of the finders and the cache owner. Owner says passport not required, a few of the finders say they stepped on US soil.

In google maps if you zoom way in and move the little man to the area it shows 4 photos of the area. 2 are of a pedestrian bridge across the river. US flag on one side Canadian flag on the other. I believe the cache is hidden under the bridge on a cross member and accessed from the US side.

If google maps is correct you can drive to 47 26.993 69 14.085, near the junction of Rocky Brook RD and Rue de la Fontaine, and be only about 0.8 miles from the cache. It appears like there is some kind of cut thru the woods there to relatively open fields.

Well thats my 2 cents.

A house is not a home without a cat.