vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you feel safe doing remote geocaches in the Maine woods unarmed?

Never needed to be armed, psychos will kill you with tree branches or stone you just the same, keep your uzi at home

Most of the me the onlyctime I am in fear and would like to be armed is whe n I am in a city with alot of people. gwt me out in the middle of no where and I feel real safe.

Well, since I'm considered the most dangerous thing in the woods to begin with, I just carry when or when I don't feel like it.... I've never encountered a situation I couldn't get out of without a firearm (yet...) Common sense prevails.

But when it comes down to it I have to agree with EMSdan, those smaller caches would be hard to open with no arms! :P
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Well I agree with Hiram and Mike. I been in the woods for 50+ years. Hiked and backpacked the North Cascades and the Appalachian trail thru the Carolinas and Virginia. At no time have I ever felt that I "needed" a firearm, but I must admit there have times that I did feel more secure knowing it was handy. Not so much safe from other individuals, however to be able to give a warning shot to inquisitive wildlife. But the whole point is as Mike pointed out is you never know when that one time will present itself. Caching and hiking seems to be safest when doing these activities in groups of people that have the same interest

I have thought of getting a carry permit but not necessarily for the woods .Maybe carry a taser although I've never needed one; wouldn't really want to kill anyone and get sued!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well, since I'm considered the most dangerous thing in the woods to begin with, I just carry when or when I don't feel like it.... I've never encountered a situation I couldn't get out of without a firearm (yet...) Common sense prevails.

But when it comes down to it I have to agree with EMSdan, those smaller caches would be hard to open with no arms! :P
    Hiram also tends to take along his older, fatter and slower friend Firefighterjake . . . so he can always outrun him.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."