vb:literal>

Thread: The Trip

Default The Trip

One week from today. RULost2? and I will start on our cross-country - cache all states/provinces trip. We expect to be gone for 3 months. As we love to travel, and enjoy sharing our experiences, we'll post frequent updates to other threads I've started, such as "What's for Supper" (sheesh! haven't posted in that thread in over a year!!!), as well as "Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread" to let you know what great brews we're having. I'll also be posting on my FaceBook page, where most of my regular GeocachingMaine.org friends will see it. If you've traveled across the US/Canada in the last couple of years, and have some suggestions for some great caches/places to visit/beers, please let us know.

Thanks!

For some reason, we thought you had already left - too much going on lately I guess. Have a good trip, we're interesting in hearing about your adventures.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Marble Brewery, Albuquerque NM - fabulous
    Santa Maria Brewing Company, Nipomo CA - eclectic, hit-or-miss hours, then hit the caches on the piers out in the Pacific at Pismo Beach & near Diablo Canyon
    Anyplace within 20 miles of Portland OR - beer heaven and caching heaven too!
    Those are my three - I envy you. Have a super time.

Thanks Brdad and Papollo. We will definitely be in Albuquerque, and then since we will head directly to the west coast after Las Vegas, the other two places sound great - especially the piers at Pismo Beach. We've been camping with the pop-up many times, but we're worried about weight since we downgraded from a Ford Explorer to a Ford Escape, which is a lot smaller (a mistake - but that's another story...).

If you had your druthers, would you camp in a pop-up or a bigger camper? I've camped in both and enjoyed them. Pam, on the other hand, seems to think that pop-ups aren't worth the money.

Have a great trip, sounds like lots of fun!! Keep us posted on your adventures. Grab some of the oldest ones if you are near them []

and I kept a weekly blog there during our trip. But for those members of GeocachingMaine.org who haven't "found" FaceBook, here's a closeout to this thread:

We were gone almost 11 weeks, drove 23,072 miles, and completed our goal of having logged geocaches in all 50 states (passing through 40 states on the trip).. We also have logged caches in all Canadian provinces except Newfoundand/Labrador (next year!!). We visited many national parks, went as far as Anchorage, Alaska, and enjoyed every minute of the trip. If you're planning a trip "west", I'd be glad to answer questions or offer advice. EMAIL ME!

With a "pop-up", you're "camping". We graduated to a pop-up after years of tent camping (and increasing age - we didn't want to sleep on the ground any more). We love to travel, and if we won the MegaBucks, we'd buy a "Class A" RV in a heartbeat. I think "camping" is for young people. One of the reasons we took the pop-up instead of just staying in motels was that we wanted to be able to experience "local foods". Only we found out that the only time you can get "local foods" is at the Saturday farmer's market. Otherwise, we rarely saw "local" vegetables. While riving trough the southern states - Louisiana, Texas, Arizona -we saw MANY roadside trucks welling melons, but that was it - nothing else. And while we expected to roadside stands selling other products, we rarely did.

But we encourage everyone - TRAVEL! It's a beautiful country.

Bruce, I'm with you... The rest of the world has a a lot to see, but why not enjoy this country first. I would love to do what you two did, just have to retire with a little time and money to do it. Glad it was a positive experience for you. See you somewhere soon. Come down for the cache bashe in two weeks.
    Happy Trails!

We'll be there, Brad. I haven't missed a "Cache Bashe" yet, have I? LOL!