vb:literal>

Thread: Technology Advancements

Default Technology Advancements

Do any of you forsee that GPS manufacturers will ever get into having Near Field Communications capability? At work, we are starting to see more and more of the phones have the capabilities in them and now you can actually purchase programmable stickers with NFC capabilities. While I know it would be as limited as QR caches and WhereiGo caches, it would be kind of neat to do a multi cache that used them. Too much like Munzees?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Do any of you forsee that GPS manufacturers will ever get into having Near Field Communications capability? At work, we are starting to see more and more of the phones have the capabilities in them and now you can actually purchase programmable stickers with NFC capabilities. While I know it would be as limited as QR caches and WhereiGo caches, it would be kind of neat to do a multi cache that used them. Too much like Munzees?
    I believe one purpose GPS handhelds are already obsolete and that evolutionary branch is dead. People will stop buying them because they already have cellphones with better capabilities. It would be nice to scan an NFC sticker to add a new waypoint when multicaching, but as you mentioned their usefulness is similar to QR codes. What I'm really waiting for are NFC stickers capable executing a program in them, that would bring geocaching to a whole new level.
    Moo

The Garmin Oregons are capable of doing this, but not with bumping, ya just gotta push the button and you can send caches, waypoints, tracks, ect to other gps units that are set to recieve
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I've been thinking about creating a simple cache using a NFC tag or tags. The tags only cost ~$1. The cache would be similar to a chirp beacon cache.

Samsungs NFC stickers are now available I believe Cano. There is going to be a big push with the launch of the new Galaxy III to try to bring NFC into the general public. There is an app that goes with them and they can be programmed right from the handset to run apps, change phone settings, or check into social media kike Facebook or foursquare automatically. If you really wanted to get someone, you could set one up as a cache but really have it pull funds from a Google wallet account and deposit into your own account.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry