vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching for numbers in Maine

Hybrid View

Default Geocaching for numbers in Maine

Many geocachers have posted staggering single day find counts in other parts of the country which made wonder how many someone could find in one day in Maine. I think that any more than 35 finds in one day would be impressive. That would be a cache every half hour for 18 hours. Is 40+ possible? I don't think there is an area dense enough in caches to log big numbers without losing lots of time driving.

It's taken me over three and a half years to close in on 100 finds and I have enjoyed everyone of those finds. It's sad to think that there are places I could go outside of Maine and double my find count in one day.

I can honestly say that at this time here in Maine 40 caches in one day would be nearly impossible. I have done 9 in one day. I know some who have done 18 in one day here in Maine. But there are not as many caches here like in other states. Some cities in other states have over a thousand caches in them. That is why some can get up to 40 in one day. When you have that many caches in such a small area then they are usually not quality caches. They are just caches placed for those that are "All about the numbers". I hope we never get that bad here in Maine.
    Blazing Troll

My record for Maine caches is 11 in a day. But I have tied this recored 5 or 6 times. A fair number more is possible if a cacher hasn't allready found any in a higher desity area. I'm sure if I was out to break my record, I could, but I'd rather enjoy my caches unless #11 comes at 3:00 in the afternoon and I have nothing else to do. I do beleive when I make it to the Presque Isle area again, I will break my record.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    When you have that many caches in such a small area then they are usually not quality caches. They are just caches placed for those that are "All about the numbers". I hope we never get that bad here in Maine.
    The numbers are important if they represent an accomplishment, and I think most Maine/New England/Eastern Canada cachers can be proud of their numbers. Even someone who can get 18 Maine caches can be VERY proud of that because we all know they spent a LOT of hours and covered a LOT of miles to get that.

There are also a few teams that have several people out caching and placing all the logs under the same account. I guess that's fine for them, but it's not what we're into geocaching for. The only time we can be competitive at this point is for first finds, and even that is becoming difficult! Too many insomniac retired guys out there... So for us, it's all about the experience: the trip, the hunt, the scenery, etc. I'd much rather be telling a story like "there we were climbing up this mountain..." than "there I was looking under this lamppost..."

Thumbs up My best day....

was 19 and that was by starting at 6:00 AM and going to 7:00 PM and covering about 280 miles. Of course I had two DNF but they were hunts just the same.
    Happy Trails!

I think the way Maine caches are placed is just fine with me. I would rather take all day exploring different spots and doing nice hikes then traveling from Walmart to Walmart looking under numerous lampost bases for micros. My best day is 13 and that was most of the day from like 7 to 6. Yesterday I did 12 and most of them were on MDI ( Mount Desert Island ) and 2 or 3 of those were virtuals but nice areas to visit though. I agree with Brdad ,if one hasnt done any caches up in the county then I would expect you could get a very good count in one day. Blevesque, J Cyr and now Northwoods Explorer have placed many new caches for us to find. So one of these days a trip to the county will be in order,maybe the next event coming up in September. Lets keep the caches of a good quality here in Maine and not get caught up in the numbers game so to speak,but each to his own. Just my 2 cents.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I am new to this geo-caching world and the joy has been relishing new sights and sounds and sharing them with my family. I have lived on MDI for over 25 years and I had the pleasure of visiting for the first time I MUST add, one of the most beautiful spots I have been to yet: Big Hunter's Beach. I would not have been there if it hadn't been for geo-caching. I guess that is one reason why I am readily hooked..........we have bonding stories to share amongst the family even with our just over a dozen caches thus far. Covefarm

We've only been caching since 4/10/05 and I'm SHOCKED that we already have 86 caches. Most we have ever done was 6 in a day, this past weekend over in NH. Probably would have stopped earlier but our friends were gung-ho, new at caching and we didn't want to blunt their enthusiasm . Like others, for us it isn't the numbers but the views. I've told so many people about Morse Mountain that I should get a commission. We do look forward to getting the 100th find since that is like a milestone and once over, the numbers don't matter.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Thumbs up Our best day

Our best day was 5 last winter and we took the time to enjoy each one. Not for the find, but for the beauty the world has to offer. And they were all in our backyard, so to speak. You gotta love that.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.