vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geocaching for numbers in Maine

Default I like a challenge

I like a challenge to get to a cache. I like them on top of mountains or somewhere I have to kayak to. Team2hunt and I only found one on Monday, but what a great find. We paddled to it "FTP" (First to Paddle). I left a TB that wants to GO PADDLIN. It's just waiting for the next adverturous person.

I got my first bike 8 yrs ago,mainly to helped me with quiting smoking.Soon it was to see how far I could ride it.25.50,and 100 mile rides,then a trip from maine to vermont and back.The next year a friend and I flew to washington state and bike back across the country.That was three years ago,since then I have ridden at least 2000 miles a year.That is til a friend asked me if I had ever been Geocaching!!!The bikes are sitting in the barn and I find all I want to do is go find a new cache somewhere.After the first 100 I told myself,you be able to slow down enjoy doing one quality cache a day.Like deathwish#1,yankee, nature trail or macgyver's,but thats not going to happen.If I decide to do a quality cache I find i want to include some easy ones for the numbers.I keep saying I'm going to take the bike to Bangor,Waterville or Portland and use it to geocache.This certainly would be the best of both worlds,but could I do them fast enough???

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    I got my first bike 8 yrs ago,mainly to helped me with quiting smoking.Soon it was to see how far I could ride it.25.50,and 100 mile rides,then a trip from maine to vermont and back.The next year a friend and I flew to washington state and bike back across the country.That was three years ago,since then I have ridden at least 2000 miles a year.That is til a friend asked me if I had ever been Geocaching!!!The bikes are sitting in the barn and I find all I want to do is go find a new cache somewhere.After the first 100 I told myself,you be able to slow down enjoy doing one quality cache a day.Like deathwish#1,yankee, nature trail or macgyver's,but thats not going to happen.If I decide to do a quality cache I find i want to include some easy ones for the numbers.I keep saying I'm going to take the bike to Bangor,Waterville or Portland and use it to geocache.This certainly would be the best of both worlds,but could I do them fast enough???
    Nice alternative to smoking!
    I'd love to see you bike for my You Sank My Battleship! (GCB688) by brdad (4/2) cache. Maybe we could start a 50/50 on how long it would take you and 50% goes to geocachingmaine.org and the other half to whoever guesses closest.

Going back to the original posts, I'm not so sure 40 in a day would be so tough nowadays if a cacher was remotely familiar with the area and had not done any caching here in Maine as of yet. Also, most of the "official" counts are in a 24 hour period. I think most of us like to sleep a few hours.

We've found most of our caches in the same general area (Brunswick and surrounding) and there are still a lot there for us to find. My girls and I did three of those Dalmation ones in one day along with another traditional. Got to tell you, they much prefer to find nice locations. The micros were in spots that we hadn't ever payed attention to but they were too quick of finds for the kids and they got borred with it. I did them for the numbers since were are just above 40. To each his own but more than 5 hasn't happened with kids. I am greatful for all the different types out here in Maine for us to choose from. Thanks to all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Going back to the original posts, I'm not so sure 40 in a day would be so tough nowadays if a cacher was remotely familiar with the area and had not done any caching here in Maine as of yet. Also, most of the "official" counts are in a 24 hour period. I think most of us like to sleep a few hours.

I think doing 40 in a 24 hour period would be quite easily attainable now with the densities as they are.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    I think doing 40 in a 24 hour period would be quite easily attainable now with the densities as they are.
    I agree Haffy, Ive been looking and within a 20mi radius of my house there are 63 regular caches(of which 37 are micros), 7 multis(1 micro), and 13 mystery ones(7micro) that I could go after. Wow, not too long ago I was at a point that the nearest cache was quite a ways off. I guess I should get back at it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    is that a challenge....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    is that a challenge....
    Sure,you do all of my caches you haven't done yet and enough more to make up 40 in a 24 hour period and I'll give you a beer for every cache over 40 you do.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Sure,you do all of my caches you haven't done yet and enough more to make up 40 in a 24 hour period and I'll give you a beer for every cache over 40 you do.
    That's a lot of work, I'll be too tired to drink after all that... how about you go ahead of me and hide a beer in the cache I'm about to find....

seriously though... that would be kinda cool to make a cache finding contest... (not like one of those pre rigged ones where they hide all the caches just for the van of 20 people to find every 10')
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.