vb:literal>

Thread: Morse Mountain worth the walk

Default Morse Mountain worth the walk

The view from Morse Mountain today was nothing less than spectacular. GC5441 is the code. Morse is on the peninsula south of Bath headed towards Popham Beach. We did three caches today in that area but Morse will stay in my mind a long time. Take Morse Mountain Road off of Route 216. The turn is at N43 44.732 W69 50.344 and leads quickly to a small parking lot. This is a 600 acre preserve managed by Bates College and various conservation groups. The walk up is along a once paved road so is pretty easy going, rising only about 250 feet in all over about a mile and a quarter. It is confusing at the summit as there is a private house there (man sitting on his deck reading the paper) and we didn't want to walk on his property. Should have kept to the edge since we ended up bushwhacking a little bit to get to the cache.

The view was crystal clear out over the ocean, back to Sebasco Estates, over the forests and out to the islands and lighthouses. We stayed a long time just sitting on the ledges and enjoying the sun and scenery. Such days are why we live here and endure those -20 degree blowing snow days.

The cache itself is in very bad condition. Log book was soaked and contents rusted or moldy. We put in a clean zip with some blank pages for a log and emailed the owner. I still think this cache is very well worth the climb and is pretty close to my favorite find even though we are only at 72 finds. Also went to Fort Baldwin and Totman Cove. Very odd that the State of Maine doesn't have any informational placques at Fort Baldwin but we read the history on the net later.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

This is one of my favorite spots too. I hope you took time to walk the rest of the way to the beach. Very quiet compared to Popham beach. We saw a baby seal being rescued while we were there. This spot also holds a special spot in my heart because this is where my wife and I went on our first geocaching adventure together not long after we had met.

I found this cache on a day that the fog was so thick you could not see 20 feet in front of you. But I still lliked it a lot. And, I got to drive in all the way! There was no room at the parking area and I told the lady at the gate I had come so far to get there, and she let me drive in and park in her parking spot near the beach. Of course, I nabbed the cache on the way by. Msteelee has not done this cache yet, so I look forward to returning with her, hopefully on a clear day.

Unfortunately we did not have the time to go all the way to the beach. We met a lot of people coming up the "mountain" as we were going down who were headed to the beach - pulling wagons full of gear and small kids.

I hope this cache is able to be redone since that spot is such a true depiction of the coast of Maine. Gatekeeper said on an extra clear day you could see Mount Washington.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe