vb:literal>

Thread: Coins

Default Coins

Having been a slacker for a while, what are peoples thoughts on Travel Bugs vs Coins. While at the WWWWWWWWWW8 last weekend we picked up two beautiful coins to send along. I plan on dropping them off in Portland next week. Are TB's still a good idea? Of all the ones I've sent out since 2008, only one is active and it's in Sardinia, Italy and has bounced around Europe for a while, which is cool. I still get a thrill out of watching a TB travel around, but I wonder if that time has passed. The coins are beautiful, so I just automatically assume someone while steal them. Guess I'm a cynic. Also, does anyone know how to delete a TB from their profile on GC.com? I've labeled a bunch as "Unknown Location", but they still mess up my profile site. After a few years, I'm sure they are geo-junk and I'd like to drop them off my page completely.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Great question and topic. Being still fairly new to the sport I at first thought that setting geocoins out and watching them travel would be a real treat. Well our first coin was stolen within a few weeks. I soon learned that the stealing of coins is way too common. I have since decided that for the lesser cost of a TB I have the thrill I was hoping for as the TB moves around. If one of our TBs goes missing it is still an aggravation but far less so than with the coins.
    Thanks for opening the door for my ranting!

My thoughts have not changed on the subject. The coins are very cool and a unique part of caching. I love finding them and moving them on. I try to put photos with them. Photos seem to be more rare than the coins. Even when asked for on the page.

Collecting coins is OK for some. I have collected a few, but quickly that gets old for me and I send them out. To me a coin is only nice if others can enjoy it. So having a bunch sitting in a drawer keeps them from others. I send them out to see where they go. If they disappear, it is bad but not that much different from sitting in a drawer.

This is coming from someone that has 90% of the trackables still active.

I really like Travel Bugs and like the stories behind them. I still send out a few each year.

Worry not. As my psychic powers get better i will concentrate on the takers and deal with them in a most harsh manner.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

A friend stopped sending coins out after having too many stolen. He bought a bunch of coin holders http://www.coinsandpins.com/coin-hol...sule-2-x-1-5-8 and made good fron and back photocopies of his remaining coins. Then he clipped the photocopies and put them into the coin holders, with washers to give them some heft. Glued them shut, and sent them out. The cacher who finds one of these proxies gets to see what the coin looks like, and gets the icon in their list on Big Green. I just bought some coin holders and will be sending out coin proxies soon.

BTW, has anyone sent out their GeoWoodstock official proxy coin? I'm afraid that would be stolen, too, so mine is still home with me.

mine was in Sri Lanka...http://coord.info/TB4EJ2G

Nice! I have a Travel Bug that went to Germany, but it took 6 years to get there! http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=117849

Ack. Hit "Post" too soon.

The only coin I've had traveling is a CITO coin, which I sent out before I learned that most of my friends had stopped sending theirs out due to theft. I guess the CITO coins are just not collectable enough to be stolen. Mine is in Minnesota... oh, wait, the last log was two years ago...