Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Breakfast Club Dec. 2012

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,576

    Default The Breakfast Club Dec. 2012

    It's only a week away! The monthly breakfast at Pat's in Orono Christmas edition is here. We are doing the Yankee swap again. Bring a gift in the $10 range, wrapped if you wish to participate. We had a blast last year and I expect this year will be as well. The event officially starts at 8:00AM. Hope to see you there, and I know we will have some coming from out of town.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    331

    Cool ? What is a Yankee Swap ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    It's only a week away! The monthly breakfast at Pat's in Orono Christmas edition is here. We are doing the Yankee swap again. Bring a gift in the $10 range, wrapped if you wish to participate. We had a blast last year and I expect this year will be as well. The event officially starts at 8:00AM. Hope to see you there, and I know we will have some coming from out of town.
    Just curious! What is a 'Yankee Swap"?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Just curious! What is a 'Yankee Swap"?
    If it's like Yankee Swaps I've been to before it means you better not be too attached to that first gift you open. Generally a Yankee Swap (aka Chinese Auction . . . at least some folks have called it this in the past) involves a gift giving game where folks bring a wrapped gift with no designated giftee in mind. Everyone participating gets a number . . . Number 1 picks the first gift at random. Number 2 then picks a gift . . . but should he/she decide they like the first person's gift they can swap the gift they just opened for the first gift. However, the third person then opens their gift and can decide whether to keep it or trade for any other person's gift. Therefore usually the last person to go has the best chance to get and hold on to the gift they really want . . . although in some versions they allow the first person to make the final pick.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [x, y, z, t]
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    If it's like Yankee Swaps I've been to before it means you better not be too attached to that first gift you open. Generally a Yankee Swap (aka Chinese Auction . . . at least some folks have called it this in the past) involves a gift giving game where folks bring a wrapped gift with no designated giftee in mind. Everyone participating gets a number . . . Number 1 picks the first gift at random. Number 2 then picks a gift . . . but should he/she decide they like the first person's gift they can swap the gift they just opened for the first gift. However, the third person then opens their gift and can decide whether to keep it or trade for any other person's gift. Therefore usually the last person to go has the best chance to get and hold on to the gift they really want . . . although in some versions they allow the first person to make the final pick.
    Interesting, I need to run few computer simulations. Can one person bring more than one gift?
    Moo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Thanks Jake for the correct interpretation of the swap. Yes, we do allow the person with the first pick to also be the last one. Number one is the coveted spot.

    Cano, you may have more than one gift. Most bring one, but you are allowed more.

    There is usually that one item that everyone seems to want. That will be the one that gets passed around a lot.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsfield
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Thanks Jake for the correct interpretation of the swap. Yes, we do allow the person with the first pick to also be the last one. Number one is the coveted spot.

    Cano, you may have more than one gift. Most bring one, but you are allowed more.

    There is usually that one item that everyone seems to want. That will be the one that gets passed around a lot.
    The hot presents today was the wooden sign brought by Brdad and the geocaching license plate holder. I'm happy that I ended up with a Geocaching Maine.org geocoin. Pretty neat coin.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Did our favorite waitress end up with a good tip?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Yes Mike she did, and was more than grateful. She plans to use it to get a bus ticket to visit her brother for Christmas.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •