vb:literal>

Thread: Benchmarks

Default Benchmarks

I was wondering if anyone here has logged the benchmark on top of Frye Mountian. This benchmark was where the old firetower used to stand besides "The Once Frye Mountain Fire Tower" Cache.

I thought I'd log it simply cause I saw it and got some pictures of it but I can't seem to find its designation or ID number. Is it possible it's not listed???

Thanks in advance

I've been up there too and was going to log it but I too didn't see any legible ID number to log it. Maybe if you go to the GC website and they have a specific forum for bench marks, you could get an answer there. A thought anyway.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Benchmarks

I think that benchmark was placed by the State of Maine just to mark the site of the fire tower. Real benchmarks are placed mostly by USGS and much more documented and used for detailed surveys etc. Just my guess, I think I have pics of it too.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Prospector
    I think that benchmark was placed by the State of Maine just to mark the site of the fire tower. Real benchmarks are placed mostly by USGS and much more documented and used for detailed surveys etc. Just my guess, I think I have pics of it too.

Cliff
    Yeah - the Maine DOT places a lot of those, although I don't know what they're for. Anyone know?

I know there's one on a rock in the middle of a field about 1/2 miles from my house. Don't know what it's purpose is in that location. I also tried to log it as a USGS benchmark, but could find no reference.

Some of my benchmark knowledge:

The benchmark on Frye Mountian is not registered with the NGS. It was probably placed by someone surveying the area, possibly to place the tower. Many times a benchmark is only registered if it is used for city or state use, like laying out roads and such.

If you want be a benchmark addict, there is a utility at Fuzzy's Geocaching Page o' Wonders called bmgpx, which will convert NGS data files into GPX files, which will be viewable with GPX software, like Watcher, GSAK, and cachemate.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Some of my benchmark knowledge:

The benchmark on Frye Mountian is not registered with the NGS. It was probably placed by someone surveying the area, possibly to place the tower. Many times a benchmark is only registered if it is used for city or state use, like laying out roads and such.

If you want be a benchmark addict, there is a utility at Fuzzy's Geocaching Page o' Wonders called bmgpx, which will convert NGS data files into GPX files, which will be viewable with GPX software, like Watcher, GSAK, and cachemate.
    Well, I'm a Geocaching addict for sure, as far as benchmarks, I thought it may be cool to do some local ones. This information you have you have posted is great, THANK YOU!.