vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting an example

Post Hmmm....

Jake, I believe you have the best of intentions, however I personally feel you will be quickly disillutioned. It won't nescessarilly be the firsrt cacher, but the good stuff will disappear quite fast only to be replaced by crap. The majority of cachers don't seem to understand the trade even or up concept. Attitudes range from the " I paid $4.00 for the happy meal therefor the McToy has a value of $4.00" to the " No one will ever know what I took so I'll just take what I want" to just plain don't care. If you make it a premium members only cache you will weed out some of the occasional cachers who fit in the don't care catagory( I am not putting ALL regular members in this group, just some)I personaly wouldn't put $30.00 prizes in a cache, but more power to you. Hope to meet you at a future event cache. Like mine in September for instance.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...8-7bdbca8083ca Good luck!
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    You can elininate the cachers that leave junk and might not be as interested in the cache by means of making it a members only cache. What that means is that you have to be a premuim member at GC.com in order to see it on the menu. While that won't rule out all the junk it will certainly help.

The other way is to make it harder to get to. Not harder to find just more work to get there. I placed my first cache in June and it is still full of awesome stuff, only one couple have found it but oh well. I would prefer the experiance much more than the items. I have 130 something finds under my belt and have probably traded 2 or 3 times.
    Speaking of premium memberships . . . are there many member only caches listed here in Maine?

Hmmmm . . . a more challenging cache . . . although after trying and failing to find brdad's "Old 470" and Kennbecmark and The Osprey's "Perkins Sanctuary" I think I should keep plugging away at some caches that I know will be easier at first.

d’76 Guest

I might put one kinda expensive thing in the cache as a FTF but that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    I have one ready to go out in as soon as I finish painting the ammo can. I have two sites picked out just need to scout both of them.
    Darn both sites are taken. The hardest part of my putting out a new cache is finding a really nice place to put one. I dont just want to make it a park and grab, nor do I want to make it one for tri-athletes but a nice place that folks can get something out of besides the hunt. Oh well I will keep looking.

d’76 Guest

How about down around fort popham. Are there caches down there, or down to West Point. When ever we go to Bath I try to visit these spots. The are very nice

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    How about down around fort popham. Are there caches down there, or down to West Point. When ever we go to Bath I try to visit these spots. The are very nice
    Thanks for the ides, I will re look at them. Maybe I dont have much creativety. I'm gonna do go down that way fishing soon so I will do some scouting down there.

Thanks

[QUOTE=firefighterjake]Speaking of premium memberships . . . are there many member only caches listed here in Maine?

There is currently only one ,I think,members only cache and that is by 19Tango it is called E-I-E-I-O and not to take away from the owner but when I opened the cache he had used another logbook from another of his caches that he owned that got muggled and the items that were in it were nothing to write home about. So just being a members only cache doesn't mean it is going to be any better than any other cache. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Haffy; 08-01-2005 at 04:34 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Along the same line of thought . . .
    While I am guilty of taking a cache item only to place it in another I try to be selective and only take something that looks decent or may be of some value to another. If I only find "junk" (usually the case thus far) I'll usually leave a TNLN or more likely drop in a few small trinkets of my own (i.e. pencils with eraser tops, Sacajewa dollar coin, etc.) -- something with just a little value, but not junk.

As my original post states, you are setting an example by leaving the junk in the cache and either taking nothing or leaving something.

Why not remove something less desirable from the cache, and leave one or two things, and log that you did so. You don't have to put it in another cache or keep the item, just get it out of the system! Other people may read the log and realize it might help. You can also trash out - it is's totally worthless, just remove it from the cache. If we all tried to do this, caches might have fewer items, but they might all be in good condition.

I don't do this as often as I should, either - but I think it would if we all tried.

It also helps if you make sure what you put into a cache goes into a well sealed zip lock - either one provided, or even better, a single bag just for your item.

I agree with a couple of the other posts. DO NOT put a lot of "good stuff" in a cache. It seems to be getting worse lately, but people seem to love to take "nice" items and leave junk.

We don't always trade. If we do, we try and trade for equal value/worth, or better. We usually leave our signature Maine Geocacher Permit in all caches, without regard to what we take/leave. (Some people think their computer printed "signature item" is equal to a $2 -$3 item, but that's another post...)

And especially, don't equate value with desirability. We had a bunch of rubber frogs - cost a quarter or so - that people really seemed to like.

Happy caching!

Dave 1976 - just do a search on the zip code for Bath and some awesome caches will come up. ThornHead, Fort Baldwin, Morse Mountain, Erratics to mention a few. Nothing to my knowledge right at Popham. We've got quite a few more marked off but not done yet as we have summer company right now and mom couldn't do any woods walking.

It's been interesting reading about "trading up". We always leave a small zip lock bag with marbles and our geocaching card plus any other item we leave. Often we don't take anything. I'd never thought about taking out the junnk because defining junk is sort of subjective <G>

Headed up to Boothbay Harbor today to have the annual lobster on the co-op pier. Stopped at Big Al's and found some fun items, not expensive but not junk, just fun. I've started to think most adults geocache just to go to the location not for the contents. And yes I do have a small collection of rubber frogs found in caches .

Anne / TwoMaineiacs
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe