vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting an example

Hey Jake, I know how generous you are with the dollar bills. I think the idea of a big ticket item cache is a good one but I have to agree that it soon would get traded down. I have seen some new caches with good items and some older ones with junk, it seems the easier they are to get to and find, the more junk they attract, when you have to work for them they seem to maintain more valuable items.

If you want a nicely stocked Bangor area cache, check out "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" GCG5AW
    This can be a bushwack, and there's no scenery, but nice stuff in the cache. Top notch toy cars, etc. Out of the way, it's not a drive-by, you have to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    As my original post states, you are setting an example by leaving the junk in the cache and either taking nothing or leaving something.

Why not remove something less desirable from the cache, and leave one or two things, and log that you did so. You don't have to put it in another cache or keep the item, just get it out of the system! Other people may read the log and realize it might help. You can also trash out - it is's totally worthless, just remove it from the cache. If we all tried to do this, caches might have fewer items, but they might all be in good condition.

I don't do this as often as I should, either - but I think it would if we all tried.

It also helps if you make sure what you put into a cache goes into a well sealed zip lock - either one provided, or even better, a single bag just for your item.
    That's a good idea about the baggie . . . it would keep things cleaner, neater and make for a better looking cache.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFarmer
    Hey Jake, I know how generous you are with the dollar bills. I think the idea of a big ticket item cache is a good one but I have to agree that it soon would get traded down. I have seen some new caches with good items and some older ones with junk, it seems the easier they are to get to and find, the more junk they attract, when you have to work for them they seem to maintain more valuable items.
    Maybe I'm an optimist . . . but I think I may try one or two caches with good stuff to start with and see how it goes . . . making it a bit more difficult to find might be a good idea.

P.S. I don't intend to put any dollar bills in them . . . but I have selected some items which I think people would definitely like.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Maybe I'm an optimist . . . but I think I may try one or two caches with good stuff to start with and see how it goes . . . making it a bit more difficult to find might be a good idea.

P.S. I don't intend to put any dollar bills in them . . . but I have selected some items which I think people would definitely like.
    I think location, location, location will draw the cachers. Contents are nice but not necessary to get a cacher to your site. Advertising valuable contents may result in a lost cache. I've always wondered what would happen if I did the same thing; put valuable treasures in a cache, I have this vision the whole cache would dissappear and no one would log it.

If someone is interested in getting into real treasure hunting, there are several online sites that offer real gold bullion and trinkets of enormous value. Solve the puzzle an become a millionaire.

Your intentions are great and I understand and happen to agree with you on content of caches. I agree with alot of the post here about how to remove the "junk". I would like to beleive that nobody is actually geocaching for profit. I would hate for the focus of geocaching to become, "What's in it for me?" If I put something in a one of my hidden caches, if it gets traded down or even really is of little concern to me, I only hope the person either enjoyed the hunt of the location.

Default Tnln

When I first started caching last fall, I read the rules of the road on the GC website and took some small trade items with me. After my first 10 or so caches, I gave up on trading stuff because I never found anything that I wanted to trade for. So, I now only sign the logs with a TNLN. Of course, I really wanted to take that nice Parmacheenee fly I found at the Apple Farm but did not have a trade item with me so I left it there. Besides, caching for me is a fun game I can play the rest of the year with the GPS I bought to take with me during hunting season. I also have visited some new places I never would have seen if not hunting for a cache. I came to believe that the trade items were mostly for any kids that are part of a caching family outing. Of course, If I start finding $30 trade items in a cache I will have to rethink my options...LOL

The other thing to consider FireFighterJake is that caches that start with a theme, do not usually end up keeping with the theme. Eventually, all the theme items are gone and no new theme items come in. We do keep a stock of toys for the kids, but the only other trading we do is for sig items. And I can't tell you how many old icky toys/buttons/matches/smellythings/brokenthings/cigarettes we've taken out of caches. This can deplete what initially looks like a well stocked cache to nothin' pretty quick. And it just goes back to the owner taking some responsibility to check on the cache once in awhile.

Hmmm . . . seems as though most folks here say it's not worthwhile to create a cache with some half decent things in it. I suppose most folks here have been around quite a while and have seen and done a lot more than me . . . but once again I'd like to think that most folks are pretty decent and would either not trade an item if they had an item of lesser value or would place an item of equal value . . . personally for me I enjoy giving away stuff . . . after all you can't take "it" with you and so I think I'll still attempt one or two caches to start with stocked with good stuff . . . and see how it goes. Not a themed cache, but one where people know right from the get-go that if they go looking they should either be prepared to write "TNLN" or make a good trade.

My final thought . . . it still blows my mind that folks think nothing of buying a $150-$300 GPSr and get into geo-caching and then can't come up with anything better to trade or leave in a cache than something that is dirty, broken, etc. It seems to me that a ten dollar bill and a stop at a Dollar Store or Mardens even could easily fill up some caches . . . sure the items might not make anyone rich, but I tell ya, just finding some corn cob holders in their original packaging made my evening a few days ago . . . something useful and something that wasn't dirty, broken or totally useless.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Thumbs up

I have only 4 hides to my name as of now,but over 350 finds and I can say from experience and caching that the only time one seems to find anything of any value so to speak is when you might get lucky and be the FTF. And then I very rarely take anything. My biggest thing is finding signature items and I have a good selection of those.

The 4 caches that I have put out, I may have invested probably 20 bux into each one.Anyone who has had the opportunity to visit one of my caches early in it's infancy has seen that the stuff in it is not the usual junk,but it gets that way soon,let me tell you.

My favorite place for my swag is the local Dollar store here in Waterville next to Shaw's. You would be surprised what can be had for a dollar and these items are not really junk either,they just cost a dollar that's all. In my last cache I left a new packaged CITO shirt that I had picked up for the last event cleanup cache that I participated in Brewer with a bunch of other cacher friends. That was given out as a FTF prize. Most of the time it doesn't take long before all the so-called good stuff is retrieved and only the junk is left.

For me finding the cache is all the fun anyway and getting to places that I would never have visited were it not for geocaching. Plus the added benefit which has been the biggest asset and that is the friends that I have made and gotten to befriend these last couple of years. That is one thing that can never be taken away.
    Last edited by Haffy; 08-04-2005 at 12:22 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

d’76 Guest

I second that Haffy

I have found it to be about the life long friends that I have acquired

That is the tresure in all of this