vb:literal>

Thread: I don't think this site sucks :)

Default I don't think this site sucks :)

Fair warning: Newbie here and looking over the site hoping to read all kinds of tips. My only surprise was to see how this site doesn't seem to be used. Is this mainly a Bangor area site, or all of Maine? We are in Poland, but originally from Old Town.

Well, we've been wanting to get into Geocaching for a while know, after finding our first cache as muggles a couple of years ago. We kept putting it off, thinking we'd never figure it out, but here we are, finally with a GPS and learning day by day. We love to be outside and can't wait to get started! We're heading out today in hopes of finding some easy ones to get started with. Any tips to find winter-friendly caches other than GC.com and sorting by last found?

When you check the listing on GC.com look at the ATTRIBUTES. If the cache hider has used them they will often use the "winter friendly" one.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Welcome to the addiction. This site isn't just for the Bangor area, it's actually for the entire state of Maine. There are a batch of people from the Bangor area who frequent the site, however. My wife and I are from Belgrade and we have been caching for about 3 years or so. Had a slow year last year but hope to be doing a bit more when the weather warms this year. As Sabby said, using the attributes is a good way to search for winter friendly caches.....if the cache owner remembered to set them.

Once again, welcome to the addiction.

Welcome to the site and the addiction. The site is for anyone from anywhere interested in caching in Maine.

As you get more and more interested in Geocaching, you may want to look into GSAK (http://gsak.net/), which is capable of creating a database of caches from which you can filter for the types of caches with the attributes as well as difficulty and terrain ratings you desire to go find. For example, It took me about 20 seconds to filter the list below of the 17 caches within 5 miles of the Poland cache "Yes! Yes! #10" which are listed as being available in Winter.

Bear in mind, attributes and terrain ratings are subjective, plan ahead!

0 miles - Yes! Yes! #10 (Traditional)(Micro) (GC42HHA) by papollo & wifey (1.5/1)
    1.01 miles - Poland One and One (Traditional)(Micro) (GC31VQR) by papollo & wifey (1/1)
    1.88 miles - Middle Range Pond One and One (Traditional)(Small) (GC32TWJ) by papollo & wifey (1/1)
    2.18 miles - Just The Tip (Traditional)(Small) (GC4177Q) by BeautifulDisaster311 (2/2.5)
    2.55 miles - Disney's Lightning McQueen (Traditional)(Small) (GC271M0) by disney bffs (1.5/1.5)
    2.75 miles - Yes! Yes! #12 (Traditional)(Micro) (GC42HFT) by papollo & wifey (1.5/1)
    3.16 miles - Poland Town Forest (Traditional)(Regular) (GC1HTK6) by jeeprunner & purplepeeper & sidecar (1.5/1.5)
    3.22 miles - Spelunky's Empire (Traditional)(Micro) (GC1FHZ8) by Vip Adventurers (1.5/1.5)
    3.23 miles - Yes! Yes! #13 (Traditional)(Other) (GC42HDQ) by papollo & wifey (2/1.5)
    3.37 miles - Black cat (Traditional)(Small) (GC1FRYJ) by jeeprunner (2/2.5)
    3.58 miles - Mechanic Falls One and One (Traditional)(Micro) (GC2ZYFN) by papollo & wifey (1/1)
    3.69 miles - Yes! Yes! #14 (Traditional)(Micro) (GC42HFB) by papollo & wifey (1.5/1.5)
    4.13 miles - O Tannenbaum (Traditional)(Small) (GC1HM0X) by Kacky (1/4)
    4.22 miles - Bird Brain (Traditional)(Regular) (GCX3XD) by Kacky (1/2)
    4.37 miles - K.G. Homestead (Traditional)(Large) (GC41W6F) by Katadin Goddess (1/1.5)
    4.51 miles - winter brook cache (Traditional)(Small) (GC1FBEK) by jeeprunner & purplepeeper (2.5/1)
    4.52 miles - Under Construction (Traditional)(Not chosen) (GC3EM7F) by Triplets Dad and Mom (1.5/1)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thank you all for your help!

Best thing to do is go out and give it a try. Experience the adventure. Use the attributes, the list Brdad provided and the last found is always a good indication. You can also look at the logs and see if anything interesting is going on. The harder rated ones might be even harder to find in the winter, but the bugs can be as bad as deep snow and cold.

After you are worn out come back with questions and some one will be able to help.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.