vb:literal>

Thread: Winter Caching--Where is it?

Default Winter Caching--Where is it?

If we live in Maine and have winter 5 months of the year, where are all the winter friendly caches? There should be a movement for Maine cachers that we only put out winter friendly caches. Otherwise people will lose interest during the winter months and drop out of caching. Since I started caching in Dec of 2012 I had a heck of a time finding winter friendly caches. My sons and I vowed to only make winter friendly caches. Who else is on board?

I find there are lots of winter friendly caches. Guardrails usually are not as many seem to think. However if you travel by snowmobile or on snowshoes then there are plenty to find. As well as getting across to some islands if you don't have a boat to get to them in the summer. I do slow down in the winter, but I never stop. This year there has been a huge number of events so folks can at least get together and talk about caching, or make a plan to get out.
    Happy Trails!

Over 2600 of Maine's apx 8500 active caches include the "available during winter" attribute. While everyone's interpretation of "available during Winter" varies, I think that's a pretty good percentage.

Only 718 have the attribute "not available during Winter" leaving 5200 or so with no designation.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

We are looking for a place to go caching on Easter weekend. We're in Nova Scotia and right now "winter friendly, 5 feet in evergreen" means you have to dig down in the snow to find it. New Brunswick is the same. We were wondering what the conditions are like in Maine right now? If we made the 8 hour drive, would it be worthwhile or would it be frustrating because all of the caches are buried?

Also, what are the road conditions? Are the back roads accessible or snowed in or soft and impassible?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    4CeasonS
    Nova Scotia, Canada

As far as the roads go, I would be leery of the woods roads being very good. Our snow is going down quite a bit this week. But this is the northeast, and as you know anything can happen. I expect there won't be much snow, but won't know until we get there.
    Happy Trails!

After this last storm the tertiary roads are bad. The idea of Winter friendly to people placing caches in the summer is much different to actual practice this year.

Worthwhile? I guess that depends on the ones you want to go for? Guardrails will have to be dug out of snow and now ice too. If you have a list we might be able to give you some idea.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.