vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FTF Question

Default FTF Question

Just curious as to what others think about a situation that happened yesterday. I went caching in the Boothbay Harbor area yesterday and on the way down I thought I would get a cache that had just been listed.Well upon arriving at the cache site and finding the cache I opened the logbook to find that I was indeed the FTF or so I thought. So my entry went something like thanks for the FTF and I left my Maine note that I usually leave in caches lately and took nothing. I get home after all day caching and find that another cacher claims the FTF,,,,Hmmmm I wonder. So I email the other cacher and he said that he found the cache but didn't open it or sign the logbook and his excuse was that a 4whlr came by and he decided to not give the site away. What are your thoughts on this? I'm just curious. 1 more FTF isn't going to make much difference to me and he said in his log on the website that it was his first FTF.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I found the log entry, and the other cacher is known to us somewhat - has been to a couple of events and has placed a couple of good caches. Don't believe he'd lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    ......So I email the other cacher and he said that he found the cache but didn't open it or sign the logbook and his excuse was that a 4whlr came by and he decided to not give the site away.
    My opinion, the only way to prove you were there is to sign the log. His excuse is poor, if I go to a cache, Owlheads delight for example but there are to many people about so I cannot safely get to the cache and sign the log, then I shouldn't get to claim a find. In his opinion I should be able to make the claim simply because I was close.

This would truly help out a geocachers numbers because we could all drive by the site and make the claim we were at least close but didn't want to give the location away by parking the car.

Well, like I said just my opinion and like the old cliche', opinions are like__________, we all have one.

d’76 Guest

I agree I think that you have to sign the log. I was close to a couple over the winter. Should I log them as found. Who would know the difference. And If he didn't open the cache how does he know he was there before anyone. Just because he was the first to log on the computer

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I agree I think that you have to sign the log. I was close to a couple over the winter. Should I log them as found. Who would know the difference. And If he didn't open the cache how does he know he was there before anyone. Just because he was the first to log on the computer
    You've mad an excellent point. How did he know he was FTF if he didn't open the log. First to log on the geocaching.com web site doesn't matter.

I've been exchanging emails with Haffy - I sort of defend this guy since he's known to us somewhat - but with this point, I have to agree with Haffy.

How does the guy know that Haffy hadn't ALREADY logged FTF in the log book before he got there (unless he was there the day before...)

OK - Score a FTF for Haffy.

Default FTF Etiquette

I have to go along with the majority--you've GOTTA sign the log! Muggles generally go away after a while--why not wait a few minutes--there is no way you can claim FTF w/o opening the cache--logging on the computer has nothing to do with it. Score another FTF for Haffy, IMHO.

Gee thanks guys....lol It's not about the numbers remember?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Gee thanks guys....lol It's not about the numbers remember?
    It's ALWAYS about the numbers.

I say it's not a find unless you sign the logbook as well (excepting extraordinary circumstances like finding a destroyed cache and having proof what you found was indeed the cache). and, as was mentioned, you have no way of knowing if you are FTF if you didn't open the cache to log it. Part of the hunt in caching is being descreet and signing the log.

As far as claiming as a FTF, I think that's up to you. The only time that has happened to me is on the Indian Trail (GCGJYB) by ds04428 (1.5/1.5) in which the first cacher to locate the cache couldn't get it open. I came later and my son opened it right up! I checked my FTF list, and I didn't claim it as one. But, I'd have nothing against anyone else claiming it..

Default Can't say what others do, but....

When I don't sign the log, I don't log the find!

If timing is important, (and it must be important to both of you or you would not be discussing who was first), then there has to be a standard for determining who was first. Clearly, signing the log is the only reliable way standard.

One time, I climbed to the top of a mountain and waited and waited for some artsy type photographer to leave. Just when I thought they would leave, out came lunch! Not even 20 feet from the cache. Posted a DNF (or note?). A few weeks later, i went back and, of course, had no trouble "finding" it.

On another cache, I was able to see the cache, but had to walk another mile before I could actually touch it! Seeing it was certainly not finding it!

The way I look at it, if it's worth finding, it's worth doing right and worth going back again!